Linux cgroups for process isolation

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Vinay Jindal, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Vinay Jindal

Vinay Jindal New Member

Hi,

I am using UdooNeo Full version and want to control and isolate my applications usage of processor, memory, network and I/O bandwidth as it happens with a regular linux based system.
    For this, I am planning to use cgroups on Ubuntu but after installing packages libcgroup1, cgroup-bin and cgroup-lite, the submodules of cpu, blkio, memory and others are not created.
    I am only able to view 'devices' and 'freezer' submodules. It seems rest of cgroups are intentionally not included.

Any ideas how to use cgroups on this board ?

Thanks,
    Vinay Jindal

2. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

You may need to build the rebuild the kernel with additional sub modules enabled see the CONFIG_CGROUP_XXXXX settings in the udoo_neo_defconfig file.

Given that the NEO has a single A9 core you not get the benefits of process isolation.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  3. Vinay Jindal

Vinay Jindal New Member

Thanks.
    This seems to be a long way to go. I would have preferred a simpler way to enable them in the standard Ubuntu image. Rebuilding kernel and then maintaining it locally does not seem to be part of plan as of now. Even the link for building kernel is broken on website.
    Though it is a single core, I can restrict my applications to not use all of it and then there are other things like memory, bandwidth utilization etc.