Windows

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Er Kalas, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Er Kalas

Er Kalas New Member

Hi
    I am interested in buying udoo x86 but i dont know if i can install windows on it, where i will download windows and which edition.
    Can anyone help me??
    Thanks in advance

2. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

The UDOO x86 is Windows 10 compatible, and I think Windows 7 too. UDOO x86 is a PC with a Arduino soldered on it, so it will run Windows. You can buy Windows at various local stores and e.g. Amazon.com

3. Christophe

Christophe New Member

Actually you can download Windows 10 for free, and legally, directly from Microsoft's website and install it without registering it.

Direct link to W10 ISOs: see here (click this link from a linux machine to access directly the ISOs. If you do it from a Windows machine it will ask you to first download the DVD/USB stick creation tool, you may want to bypass that and get directly to the ISOs), choose the full version ISO, either 32 or 64bits.

You can then install W10 on the UDOO x86 and it should not need any additional drivers (someone correct me if I am wrong). On the contrary if you choose Win7 it may (most likely will) need some drivers.

Once installed W10 will run unactivated for 30 days. On the 31st day you will see watermarks on your screen saying that you are running an unactivated copy of Windows. That being said your unactivated copy of Windows 10 will continue to be usable for a good long while after that (months). The watermarks will disappear once you purchased and registered your copy. All that to say you can download and try W10 for a long period of time before you decide to pay for it.

Maurice likes this.
  4. FirstGenGeek

FirstGenGeek Member

5. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

UDOO X86 comes without any preinstalled OS.
    If you want to install Windows you have to buy. Maybe there is some discount/opportunity somewhere, I don't know.
    Right. Anyway, I'm not saying Windows 7 on UDOO X86 isn't feasible, but I think it's not going to be plug and play because of drivers.

6. tuxun

tuxun Member

Just this fact should be enough to warn us: windows is and will never be free. I had to restart my windows box under ubuntu to download the iso without have to install their "tool" cause they are not able to make a download link without try to trap us...
    I saw in another post "udoo should advertise more that win10 run easily on udoo", but that would be free advertisement for a company which don't really really don't care of open source ideology and maybe a bad ad for udoo.
    Udoo working under linux 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, could be life guaranteed, but with m$ soft, we could just pray for microsoft windows version 11, 24, 666 still support our board.

My linuxian two cents

7. Andrew Siede

Andrew Siede New Member

Try to find yourself a windows 7 or later product key especially on a old computer that is not going to be used anymore to use for windows 10 instead of buying a licence (Microsoft quietly endorses this)
    and another option to download the iso get your browser to report being from a non windows machine (downloading it on your phone might be an option)