No device found error when programming SAM3X from an external computer

Discussion in 'Arduino IDE' started by Max, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Max

Max New Member

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to program the Arduino part of my Udoo Quad from an external computer but when I upload the sketch I get the following error message:
    No device found on tty.SLAB_USBtoUART.

I’m running Mac OS X 10.10.3 and Arduino IDE 1.5.2, i’ve installed the USB to UART Driver and replaced the bossac file with the patched one.

I connected the microUSB cable to the CN6 port, removed the J18 jumper and connected the power cable (so Udoo is powered on when I try to upload).
    In the IDE I selected Arduino Due (Programming Port) from the Board menu and the serial port /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART.

I know that the USB cable and the CN6 port both work because I can see the U-boot info (with J18 connected) from the Arduino serial monitor when it boots up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Max

2. Andrea Arezzini

Andrea Arezzini New Member

i have the same problem! Someone can help us please?

3. Max

Max New Member

I also contacted the customer care and they suggested to try uploading the sketch as explained here (without the bossac patch): http://www.elinux.org/UDOO_programm...ntroller#Using_Arduino_IDE_without_UDOO_patch.

I was able to upload the program this way, so I know it's not an hardware issue.
    I also tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers, the Arduino IDE and the patch but this didn't solve the problem.
    As soon as I can I'll try with another computer to see if it works...

4. Max

Max New Member

I tried with another computer (a windows pc), I followed all the instructions and installed the drivers but I had the same exact problem...

5. Max

Max New Member

I also tried using a different operating system, Udoobuntu instead of Openelec, on the microSD (even if uploading the sketch on the SAM3X shouldn't have anything to do with the OS, AFAIK) but the problem remains

6. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there Max,
    first of all you should beware, while uploading the sketch, that the serial monitor is not active.
    In a second place, you need to have UDOObuntu OS started and running.
    Cheers

7. Max

Max New Member

So it isn't possible to upload sketches if I want to use Openelec as OS? Isn't it a bit weird?
    I mean, if the J18 jumper is unplugged the CN6 port should communicate directly with the programming port of the SAM3X, am I wrong?
    Anyway I did try with Udoobuntu but it doesn't work, I get the same error message: "No device found on /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART".

8. Andrea Rovai

I messed it up a bit, sorry.
    You don't need UDOObuntu running, any OS with our kernel and uboot will let you upload Arduino sketches.
    About the second question, you're not wrong, but it will communicate with both, not just with SAM3X8E, because the i.MX6 has to catch the bossac code and do the 'erase and reset' automatically.
    So, be sure to use our Kernel.
    Please, let me know.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  9. Max

Max New Member

Ok, I didn't know that the "erase and reset" part was done by the i.MX6, sorry.
    I downloaded Openelec from your website so I think it's the right kernel.

10. Andrea Rovai

Few users are experiencing some problems with the latest Mac OS X.
    Windows on the external PC + a "clean" installation of UDOObuntu + the method we provided linked above should solve the problems.
    The weird thing Max is that doing "your way" doesn't solve the problem, whereas it should. Let us take a few days to examinate the problem, in the meanwhile please use the provided solution. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    Cheers

11. vpeter

vpeter Active Member

Openelec is not using official Udoo kernel. That's why this things probably don't work.

To upload/burn sketch just boot UDOObuntu.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  12. Max

Max New Member

Ok, thanks for the explanation, now I understand, but this was not written in the tutorial so I thought it would work with any OS.
    In fact yesterday I tried again with UDOObuntu and it worked.

Some background info:
    I’m using udoo to control some led strips with effects that synchronize with music.
    I wanted to use Openelec because I found it easy to automatically send data over the serial port to the SAM3X for sync when a song starts or stops and also because I would like to use it as a media center, not only for music but also for photos, videos and films, Openelec would be perfect for this use.
    That’s why I needed to use Openelec while still being able to upload sketches from an external pc, otherwise I would have to shut down Udoo, switch the microSD, power up, upload the sketch, shut down, put the microSD with Openelec in, power up and play a song to test every minimal change in the effects (they’re not generated automatically “live”…).

Do you know if the “manual” procedure explained here http://www.elinux.org/UDOO_programm...ntroller#Using_Arduino_IDE_without_UDOO_patch works also with Openelec? If so, will it work only stopping the board while booting or also while the OS is running?

Thanks

13. Andrea Rovai

Regarding your last question it should work fine.

14. Max

Max New Member

I did some tests and if you stop Udoo at boot stage it works but if Openelec is running it's impossible to program the SAM3X neither "automatically" or with the manual procedure.

15. Andrea Rovai

Could it be that the driver to interact with SAM3X is not preloaded inside OpenELEC? Does it sounds possible, @vpeter?

16. vpeter

vpeter Active Member

Current kernel used by OpenELEC doesn't include anything Arduino related. Maybe in next version which is currently in testing.