Broken wifi module

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B35a13, Aug 20, 2014.

1. B35a13

B35a13 UDOOer

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible for a consumer to replace the wifi module as mine broke.
    From what I've been reading the module is actually a USB2.0 one:

Model: GWF-3M08
    Version: 1.3

I'm having trouble however finding a consumer replacement for this thing.
    The things are pretty cheap (starting from €2) but you can only buy them in bulk (500 pieces or more).

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do to replace the broken one using the old pin headers?

B35a13

2. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

A quick solution could be using a normal USB dongle, attached via the aux USB connector.
    Or, use a female USB port (with the dongle) and insert the pins on the Wi-Fi Header. I'm sure it will work with no issues .
    You'll need however to install proper firmware for your dongle. Let me know!

3. B35a13

B35a13 UDOOer

As of now I'll be looking for a USB dongle.

I have read somewhere ( on this forum but can't find it anymore ) that the 7 pins are actually USB but there is no fuse or something like that.
    So in theory I should be able to, minding the correct pinout use a normal USB dongle on these pins.

I am a little bit scared about the fuse though.

I also had a second option in mind.
    I have a few pcie ( from laptops ) wlan cards.
    I know they operate at 3.3V and I've been reading a lot about wiring them up as usb using a 3.3V regulator.
    Any thoughts on this aproach?

4. cmac49

cmac49 New Member

If you are still looking for this module, I've posted a thread with more info on a non-bulk listing here: http://www.udoo.org/forum/non-bulk-replacement-gwf-3m08-wifi-modules-t2096.html#p11565

B35a13 likes this.
  5. B35a13

B35a13 UDOOer

Thanks, I am back from a long break and have bought the replacement.
    It works like a charm and the pigtail connector allows for greater flexibility than the built in antenna.

Andrea Rovai likes this.