Packet loss with ethernet and wifi

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mitchell Spryn, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Mitchell Spryn

Mitchell Spryn New Member

Hi all

I've been prototyping with the UDOO for a few days, and I've noticed that when SSHed into the board, there is an annoying lag whenever typing. Out of curiosity, I logged out and pinged the board a bunch of times. The results show significant packet loss:

<snip>
    808 packets transmitted, 784 received, 2% packet loss, time 808140ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.480/109.030/900.259/97.051 ms

I repeated the experiment with the board plugged into the router over ethernet, and I received similar numbers. I've also repeated this with both the official Ubuntu and Debian distributions, and still received anywhere between 2 and 5% packet loss. I know the router isn't the issue, as I was able to ping google.com over 1000 times without packet loss. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? The application for which I am developing cannot withstand these packet losses.

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Dear Mitchell,
    UDOO Neo, Dual or Quad?

3. Mitchell Spryn

I'm using the udoo quad.

Should I file a support ticket? This seems like a hardware issue, as I've tried multiple distributions of linux, and the problem shows up with remarkable consistency.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  4. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

5. Mitchell Spryn

So, I figure I'll post the resolution here in case someone else has this problem.

It turns out that the ethernet is fine. The problem is that the included wifi module in this product has abysmal range (i.e. begins dropping packets at ~20' from the router). The recommended solution by the UDOO team is to solder an antenna to the wifi chip, as detailed in their tutorial here.

For those of you who don't want to take an iron to your hardware, you can also use a USB wifi module. Specifically, be sure to grab one that uses the RaLink 5370 chipset, as the driver is already installed in the pre-built kernels available on the UDOO downloads page (and attempting to recompile the kernel to incorporate new drivers is a...painful...process). Here's the one I grabbed. Then, just remove the on-board wifi module and plug in the external USB module, and you should have a much more stable connection.