Designing case for UDOO

Discussion in 'Cases' started by xan326, Jan 25, 2014.

1. xan326

xan326 New Member

Hi everyone, I'm trying to design a case for the UDOO. I'm not trying to make just a standard case to hold the board itself. What I'm trying to do is design a case for the Quad, having the case as shallow as possible to the board with mounting holes to make cases for Arduino Shields. So what I was thinking was making the top be as close to the board as possible, having cutouts for the Arduino sockets, the sata port, and making the ports as flush as possible. Also making the sides be as close to the board as possible also, having the ports and such be flush with the case. And for all the extra ports, like the spare usb, the lvds, j18 jumper, camera ports, etc. have cutouts in the sides of the case (and possibly connectors also) so that they're still usable without having too many holes. Have the board mount to the bottom, and have the case have threaded inserts at the top so the Arduino shields can have a case or cases. I was also thinking of doing the same for the bottom so a sata drive could be mounted.

If anyone is wondering; I'm wanting to build a drone (most likely quadcopter) using a go pro and such. But instead of normally moving data from go pro to laptop/desktop, I was thinking of having the go pro transfer data live from the came to usb then through the sata to a disk. While having that, build the drone's features onto the UDOO using Arduino shields. Pretty much having a drone that I don't have to constantly take out of the sky to put video onto my laptop. I figured the best way to make my own drone having this capability was with the UDOO, and just hook it to a screen afterwards, or use bluetooth to transfer hours of video to my laptop either after or during flight. In addition to all of this, I'd get experience with the UDOO (which personally I think may be one of the greatest boards out there) and I get to practice on my programming using all the different components. I could also some day hopefully turn this into something more then just a project, as it could be useful for search and rescue or security and surveillance, as it will have the ability to store mass amounts of video. I, for a long time, have actually wanted to specialize in drone technology and I've always wanted it to be a hobby. But as I'm just 17 (18 soon) right now, I don't have much of a background in any of this outside of basic programming and building and design, also I don't exactly have the funds to experiment constantly with different things.

So, to anyone that is willing to help, can you provide the following? I need the dimensions of the board (the board itself, not the ports added on)- height, width and depth, the locations of the mounting holes of the board, and the displacement of the ports off the board. If its possible can I have this in centimeters and millimeters? Also what materials do you think would be best for a case, I know acrylic glass is common, but I'm wanting something that can withstand being dropped from great heights. Also anything else you can provide, such as having port extensions for things like the jumpers of lvds/camera ports. And anything else you can think of.

Also, thanks anyone who helps. Information, constructive criticism, opinions, and such are helpful. Anyways, thanks! This may become a long project, and I don't have the board on hand right now nor do I have any Arduino shields. All I have is Sketchup that I can design with. I will hopefully be getting enough spare money for everything in the coming months, so right now ideas and tips and info is very helpful. I like to do things on paper before attempting to tinker with the physical parts. Anyways, thanks again guys. Hopefully some of you out there can help me out. I, someday, will be finished with this and posting videos on youtube and such, and for everyone that help I will give credit to them.

Sorry for the large post, one of the few projects I had in mind, anyways good day to all of you! Hope to get some replies soon.

2. mkopack

mkopack Member

If you go to the Downloads section of the site, in the Documentation section there there's the Mechanical Specs files that should have everything you want.

3. xan326

xan326 New Member

Didn't even realize there was a download page. Oops, new to the site. Anyways thanks!

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  4. Andrea Arezzini

Andrea Arezzini New Member

xan do you want to do the program on your own or do you want to use a program like multiwii? Because i just try to make a drone based on udoo and this software: http://technicaladventure.blogspot.ch/2014/05/porting-multiwii-to-arduino-due.html
    wich is a version of the software multiwii compatible with ardunio due but I'didn't get any good results, so what's your idea? i mean what software do you want to use?