openPOWERLINK EdrvFec driver

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pedro Ferreira, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Pedro Ferreira

Pedro Ferreira New Member

Hi UDOO Team,
    I'm using the UDOO Quad for prototyping and I'm also using openPOWERLINK to connect the UDOO Quad to a B&R PLC.
    It works fine with the PCAP library but only with a slow cycle time. In order to make it work faster, a kernel driver should be used. I made some changes to one of the old i.MX53 drivers so it compiles and runs on the i.MX6, but its not working...
    There is a nice community behind openPOWERLINK and they are willing to help, but they don't have a UDOO Quad...
    Would it be possible for you to send them a demo board so they can also test openPOWERLINK on your board? For UDOO this can be a plus for serious automation prototyping.
    Thanks in advance,
    Pedro

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Dear Pedro,
    I understand your problem, but I'm sorry to tell you we cannot send a UDOO board to openPOWERLINK only to solve a problem that affects just one user and it's not directly caused by UDOO.
    The situation would be different if there were a certain number of users asking for this or if openPOWERLINK asked us for a Quad to extend the support of openPOWERLINK to Quad.

3. Pedro Ferreira

Pedro Ferreira New Member

This is a chicken / egg situation :) if they have a board then they can integrate it in their test bench and more people will be looking at UDOO boards for automation prototyping... so maybe in the future you'll have more interested users.
    I'm still waiting for their reply to check if they are willing to add this board to their testing. If they accept I can contribute by buying a UDOO board and sending it to them.