Loading compiled C/C++ firmware on M4

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Marc Siri, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Marc Siri

Marc Siri New Member

I'd like to load my own C/C++ firmware (without the Arduino stuff) on the M4 on the Neo, but I can't seem to find working instructions on how to do this. It seems like there's got to be a way to do this since Arduino sketches can be loaded when booting up or even through the internal/external IDEs. I'm trying to find a way that doesn't involve having to connect a JTAG connector to J11 to load firmware.

1) Is there an equivalent way to load the M4 through u-boot like the instructions that are provided for the NXP SoloX SABRE board? The gist of it to put the binary firmware on the SD card and run u-boot commands to load the firmware from the SD card to the M4.

2) I know there's a shell script provided with the UDOObuntu called 'udooneo-m4loader'. I've tried to use it to load binary firmware compiled in IAR, but it always fails. I've tried rebooting as well as some of the threads have suggested, but it still doesn't work. The following shows the error that I get. It seems like the program load address shouldn't be 0x00000000.

Thank you for any help provided!

Marc

2. Marc Siri

Marc Siri New Member

I gave a clue to myself about the program load address. In fact, it shouldn't be zero and in the source 'mqx_upload_on_m4SoloX.c', the load address is derived from bytes in the header of the binary file. So it looks like compiled Arduino sketches have some format to the binary output, which isn't the same as the IAR output. Using a compiled sketch, I was able to load the program correctly. Now to figure out how to generate a correct binary output from IAR.

3. Goutam bhat

Goutam bhat New Member

@Marc Siri did u find the answer? even i am having the same problem