Any suggestions about Udoo Neo i2s sound card?

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Swity910, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Swity910

Swity910 New Member

I want to have headphones and high quality sound output on my udoo neo (I'm using lvds touch screen and hdmi sound output not working)
    I found some i2s sound card for raspberry pi (Hifiberry)
    Does it work on Udoo neo?
    And how?

Thanks.

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

3. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

Swity910 likes this.
  4. Andrea Rovai

Thanks for pointing this out jas-mx!

5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Hello jas-mx, which one is working for you? I got http://www.ebay.com/itm/131661543521 but I can confirm that there is no audio coming out.
    Is there another way to get audio out from the Linux side? Or is there a way to boost to 5V pin on hdmi out?

6. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

I have tested with this one and it will work however to need to take it apart to connect it to an external 5v supply.

Alternatively I added support for this DAC (via i2s) in the kernel, it's been committed to the kernel so you either build the kernel yourself or wait for it to be fully tested & released.

waltervl likes this.
  7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Thanks, in my project I need a large monitor so I will select one with an audio out connection. I just have none close and always free here at the moment. The kids want to see the TV also sometimes :)

8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Still prototyping around my Neo I stumbled upon an old USB audio Dongle that is Linux compatible (Philips U108 with the C-Media CM108 chip) It shows up in lsusb as 0d8c:000c C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter

It looks a bit like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Syba-SD-CM-...ia-Chipset-RoHS-by-Syba-OOO-New-/301554387761

So it is a cheap extension of the Neo if you want to have audio out (and in).

I had an issue with having it set as default audio out. I tried different methods but the method as mentioned on http://www.seehuhn.de/pages/alsa worked like a charm:

Create a configuration file (either for the whole system at /etc/asound.conf or .asoundrc in your home directory) containing statements like the following ones:
    Code:
    defaults.ctl.card 1
    defaults.pcm.card 1
    defaults.timer.card 1
    This file would make card 1 the default. The card number (1 in this example) is taken from the /proc/asound/cards file.

ektor5 likes this.
  9. Rick Ledford

Rick Ledford New Member

I made UDOO Neo I2S work with latest 14.4 update. I configured I2S audio to pins 25,26,27 using the Device Tree Editor. I then rebooted and downloaded Audacity. I generated a sin wav with Audacity and then played it using the ES... device. I connected the I2S pins on the Neo to the Adafruit mono audio card based on the MAX98357A I2S amp.
    Neo Adafruit
    3.3 v -> Vin
    GND -> GND
    GND -> Gain
    25 -> Din
    26 -> BCLK
    27 -> LRC

Connect any compatible speaker and listen. Read the Adafruit docs for how to set up the gain and SD to optimize the sound.

Maurice and waltervl like this.
  10. Andrea Rovai

Hi there Rick,
    it wasn't unable to work actually. You just have to enable it in the device tree editor.

11. Rick Ledford

Rick Ledford New Member

I am not sure about your point in this comment. There is very little information on actually using I2S audio with Neo. My point is that it was easy to get I2S audio to work. The only problem is determining which device to use, and finding a compatible app for playing sounds. If this is documented elsewhere, please point to that place and remove my comment.

12. Andrea Rovai

13. Rick Ledford

Rick Ledford New Member

The new I2S content is a great addition. However, it leaves out lots of detail and is misleading on the actual pin assignments on the Neo.
    Keep up the good work!

14. Andrea Rovai

Could you please specify what is misleading and what is missing?