arduino serial port

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by chang, Feb 19, 2017.

1. chang

chang New Member

Hi guys:
    I am new to udoo neo, I have couple problems need help.
    I try to load arduino sketch to this board , it will run good . but the sketch will not be kept in the board like regular arduino board does.any body can help?
    I try to create a virtual serial port to have arduino serial monitor to attach to, so I can see the serial port output between A9 and M4 , it never work, anybody have idea? thank you so much.

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Hi chang,
    I suppose you use the external programming method? http://www.udoo.org/docs-neo/Arduino_M4_Processor/Programming_Arduino_M4_from_External_PC.html

It should stick on the Neo. Please check on the Linux side if the file /var/opt/m4/m4last.fw is changed after you uploaded the Arduino sketch.

What happens if you use the internal Arduino IDE? Just use a simple program to test (Blink).

Regarding serial monitor, what do you see when you use the internal IDE's serial monitor?

How do you connect with the Udoo? With direct USB or through something else like wifi or wired network? Because then you have to change the IP address in the configuration.

3. chang

chang New Member

Hi there:
    Thank you for your reply. I did use external programming with usb cable connected to PC. after I load the sketch to the arduino , I could see the tty/mcc port had output by using arduino serial monitor, so it mean the sketch inside the M4 is running good , but the sketch will be reset after power off. I will check the Linux side to see what happen.one more thing , is there any possible to set up a virtual serial that I can load the sketch direct and monitor the output of the M4 core? thank you againe.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

What Udoobuntu version are you on? In a previous version there was an issue that if you rebooted the Neo (or even worse just pulled the plug or press reset button) within a minute after uploading the Arduino sketch the sketch was deleted from the Neo.
    You can upgrade from Linux to get rid if this issue with "sudo apt-get update" "sudo apt-get upgrade" , reboot.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  5. chang

chang New Member

I will update my neo to see what happen, thank you.

6. chang

chang New Member

My Neo still delete my arduino sketch after Neo re-powered even I upgrade the udoobuntu .do we have any other way to keep arduino sketch in my Neo? anybody have idea? thanks

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

1. Did you check on the Linux side if the file /var/opt/m4/m4last.fw is changed after you uploaded the Arduino sketch? Also check the size. ( linux command ls /var/opt/m4/ )
    2. Did you check on the Linux side if the file /var/opt/m4/m4last.fw is changed after you rebooted the Neo.
    3. How do you reboot/re-power?

The file /var/opt/m4/m4last.fw is uploaded to the M4/Arduino after reboot of the Neo. So if this file is not updated correctly by the M4 uploader (called by Arduino IDE) or gets corrupt at or just before reboot it will not be uploaded to the Arduino side correctly.

8. chang

chang New Member

Dear Waltervl:
    Thank you for your so many times help, I try to know that what udoobuntu version been installed in the system, I try several different command like: uname-a, cat/proc/version etc. all of these command not work, Neo board sent out error message like : no such command or invalid command. the micro SD card was bought from Udoo distributor, all the udoobuntu been preloaded. so I am totally stop there, please help me. if this is different thread, please let me know, thank you againe.
    Chang Lin

9. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

For a version check of Udoobuntu do "cat /etc/issue"
    Mine says Udoobuntu 2.1.

You can upgrade by downloading a new image or run "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" and reboot.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017