Best way to program arduino without using arduino ide

Discussion in 'Arduino IDE' started by Pedro Ferreira, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Pedro Ferreira

Pedro Ferreira New Member

Hi all,
    I want to program the Arduino inside the UDOO Quad directly from Linux, without using the IDE or the external UBS port.
    What is the best way to do it? I didn't find much info on this...
    Thanks in advance
    Pedro

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

You mean with a command line interface? https://github.com/TomFreudenberg/udoo-arduino-cli
    Or do you want to program the arduino with the IDE installed on the Linux side of the UDOO QUAD? If you use the new UDOObuntu 2 RC1 (Ubuntu 14.04) image the IDE is preinstalled (at least on the Neo but i think on the Quad too)
    If you still want to use your current image and the IDE is not installed yet you can use the following instruction: http://www.udoo.org/docs/Arduino/UDOO_Install_The_Arduino_IDE.html

3. Pedro Ferreira

I want to use the UDOO for automation prototyping so I'm using Arch Linux ARM preempt with rt patch (thanks to osnwt from the Arch Linux ARM forum). There is no video driver available so I can't use the Xorg server. Anyway I don't need it and I don't want to consume resources for nothing.
    So I was wondering if there were an "official" solution for this, so I can eventually update the Arduino program directly from the Linux side, so that I can update it by sending new versions via network. Thank you for the links above, I'll look into them.

4. Pedro Ferreira

Your first link looks interesting, the udoo-arduino-cli. I'll try it this week and.
    I don't have Arduino installed by default in Arch Linux. Where is the latest version for UDOO? I saw it in the UDOO Arduino git, which is a fork from ektor5 Arduino git, which is a fork from the Arduino git...
    I also found the UDOO bossac git... I'll also check it out this week end...

5. Pedro Ferreira

6. Pedro Ferreira

Ho and I tried Using Arduino IDE without UDOO DUAL/QUAD patch from this page and it didn't work... I unplugged J18, then reset with J22 for 1 sec, then reset with J16 for one sec... then from my Windows box I launched Arduino IDE, selected the COM10 port, selected Arduino Due programming port... always an error of no device found...

7. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Have you followed the command below?
    • Before the counter reaches 0, press any key on the external PC’s serial console.

8. Pedro Ferreira

yes, I rebooted the UDOO and pressed space on u-boot prompt so I'm sure the Linux side didn't boot and was not interfering with the serial connection.
    After that I removed the J18 jumper. Then put the clear jumper for 1s, then put the reset jumper for 1s. Is there a timeout after the reset jumper?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  9. Gary Huband

Gary Huband New Member

I use platformio (platformio.org) for a cli programmer. It uses python so to install:
    > pip install -U platformio
    It does not currently support the Neo directly. I'll try some of the built-in boards and post the results.

10. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer