Can't Connect to WiFi Direct (P2P) Using wpa_supplicant

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by paul7799, Nov 24, 2015.

1. paul7799

paul7799 New Member

After a long time spent installing the required libraries to compile wpa_supplicant, I was finally able to compile wpa_supplicant 2.5 with p2p (WiFi Peer-to-Peer)/WiFi Direct support. Also, I would've preferred to just use the Network Manager for a Wi-Fi (Shared) connection, but the version being used on Udoobuntu2-BETA5 does not support this functionality.

I used the following tutorial from TI to connect 2 UDOO NEOs together via WiFi Direct/P2P:
    http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index...up_-_Connect_in_pbc_.28Push_button_Control.29

My wpa_supplicant.conf file is as follows:
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    ap_scan=1
    device_name=NEO-1
    device_type=1-0050F204-1
    driver_param=use_p2p_group_interface=1

The devices are able to find each other, and after typing:
    p2p_connect mac_address_of_peer pbc auth go_intent=7
    I get the following output:
    <3>P2P-GO-NEG-SUCCESS

However, that's it. I am not able to ping the NEOs from another terminal tab/window so it appears that they are not fully connected. Also, in the tutorial I linked to above, they ping the same device, so obviously if I do that it works (i.e. on device with IP:192.168.3.3, ping 192.168.3.3, but I'm trying to ping 192.168.3.4 from 192.168.3.3 and vice versa).

Other potentially relevant details:
    • Each NEO is connected to a separate laptop running Linux (Ubuntu 15.04 on one and Kubuntu 15.04 on the other) via USB
    • I was running wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli on the NEOs via SSH
    • Sometimes I have gotten the following, so I tried appending "join" to the connect command on the client NEO, and I tried setting the go_intent directly, but it yielded the same result:
      <3>P2P-GROUP-FORMATION-FAILURE

2. Al3Co

Al3Co New Member

Try doing this:
    on $ sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
    # Loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    # Primary network interface
    #auto eth0
    #iface eth0 inet dhcp
    #auto wlan0
    #allow-hotplug wlan0
    #iface wlan0 inet manual
    #wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    auto wlan0
    allow-hotplug wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet static
    address 192.168.42.22
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    #iface default inet dhcp
    allow-hotplug usb0
    iface usb0 inet static
    address 192.168.7.2
    netmask 255.255.255.252

on $ sudo nano /etc/gai.cong
    uncomment line 54 +/-:
    precedence ::ffff:0:0/96 100

on $sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
    update_config=1
    #network 1
    network={
    ssid="POSGRADOTEC"
    key_mgmt=NONE
    wep_key0=3063743338
    priority=50
    }
    #network 2
    network={
    ssid="BebopDrone-L017881"
    key_mgmt=NONE
    priority=100
    }
    #network 3
    network={
    ssid="InterCable20367581"
    key_mgmt=NONE
    wep_key0=mbcd165289d0a
    wep_key0=6d626364313635323839643061
    priority=50
    }

sudo nano /etc/host
    clear all, less the first line

I have made this and it works...

3. paul7799

paul7799 New Member

Thanks, I appreciate it. However, after using all the same configurations as you, I was still unable to create a p2p network.

Have you actually been able to get Wi-Fi P2P working on the Neo? If so, what flags are you using/what's the exact commands you use when initializing wpa_supplicant and running wpa_cli?

Also, I've decided to try simply setting up one Neo as an Access Point and have the other connect to it via the wpa_gui just to make the connection process a little easier, however I haven't been able to do that either. I would think setting up a device as an AP would be relatively common, but I haven't been able to find much relevant information on the matter. Any tips on creating an AP?

4. AngusGalloway

AngusGalloway New Member

Aldo, i'd also be curious to know if you created a separate p2p interface or if you just used wlan0.

5. AngusGalloway

AngusGalloway New Member

After running:

wpa_cli -i wlan0
    > p2p_group_add
    OK
    <3>P2P-GROUP-STARTED p2p-wlan0-0 GO ssid="DIRECT-7p" freq=2412 passphrase="9l9zMTSD" go_dev_addr=MAC_ADDR

sudo wpa_cli -i p2p-wlan0-0

Paul and I are able to get a GO-NEG-SUCCESS, but the boards are still not connected, and 'status' indicates that 'wpa_state=INTERFACE_DISABLED'. After trying again with another round of 'wpa_cli -i wlan0', 'p2p_group_add' and 'wpa_cli -i p2p-wlan0-1', running 'status' again yields different results.

> status
    bssid=5e:31:3e:df:ce:e7
    ssid=DIRECT-7p
    id=0
    mode=P2P GO
    pairwise_cipher=CCMP
    group_cipher=CCMP
    key_mgmt=WPA2-PSK
    wpa_state=COMPLETED
    p2p_device_address=5c:31:3e:df:ce:e7
    address=5e:31:3e:df:ce:e7

The 'DIRECT-7p' ssid is also not visible in the wpa_gui

From there,

> wps_pbc
    OK

> p2p_find
    FAIL

Any ideas as to what might be contributing to this inconsistency are appreciated.

6. paul7799

paul7799 New Member

Due to current time constraints, we have ended up temporarily abandoning WiFi P2P using wpa_supplicant.

What worked for me in basically a plug-n-play implementation was simply using the KDE Network Manager included with Kubuntu. I'm currently using 15.04, but I believe the KDE Network Manager has supported it for a little while now. Basically I just set up a Wifi (Shared) network on my laptop and then had the NEO connect to it using wpa_gui (or you can use the default Network Manager on the NEO). It essentially allows you to set-up the device containing KDE NM as an Access Point and then other devices can connect to it (including other phones and tablets!)

Once I did this my laptop had an IP Address of 10.42.0.1 and the NEO was able to establish connection and communicate to each other.

I have also since discovered that users of other flavours of Ubuntu can install the KDE network manager which includes this support for WiFi (Shared): http://www.linuxslaves.com/2015/08/share-internet-connection-from-ubuntu-to-android.html