Help creating picture frame

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tommykmusic, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Tommykmusic

Tommykmusic New Member

So I've been doing lots of research and I cannot find a picture frame capable of doing Google photos (the new Google photos NOT Picasa). So I have come into conclusion that there picture frame apps for Android capable of doing Google photos. So at first I was going to use a raspberry pi but then I found the udoo and saw that it was android compatible and would be easier to work with. My goal is to create a picture frame that works with Google photos and runs android that also has a mic so I can use Google now. I am considering using the udoo neo with a touch screen and American frame for the frame of the touch screen. I was wondering if someone can help me find a good lvds compatible touch screen for the udoo. I want to make sure I'm doing everything right if there's anything else I should know before buying anything please let me know.

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Dear Tommykmusic,
    I want to inform you first that UDOO NEO does not support Android yet. The board is capable of running it, but there's no image to download at the moment. Good compatible touch screens for UDOO are the ones in our shop.
    Cheers

3. Tommykmusic

Tommykmusic New Member

So for Android I'd have to use the quad?

4. Andrea Rovai

For the moment yes, you'd have to use the Quad.

5. Tommykmusic

Tommykmusic New Member

So the quad will work with android and will be able to do what I need?

6. Tommykmusic

Tommykmusic New Member

Looking at it, the quad only runs android 4.2.2 is there a way to upgrade to 5.0 that's what the app requires?

7. Andrea Rovai

Dear Tommykmusic,
    UDOO Dual/Quad runs Android 4.4.2, not 4.2.2
    If you tell me where you find the wrong information I'll correct it ASAP
    Anyway yes, Quad's Android should be fine for your app (although I didn't understand if the frame is meant to be an actual "hardware" frame or a piece of software. We never tried anything involving Google Photos, so I can't ensure for that, but we did realized projects involving microphone and Google Voice, like Mario, and we can ensure that speech recognition works fine. UDOO Quad should be suitable for your app.

8. Tommykmusic

Tommykmusic New Member

It's a hardware frame running the app fireside from the Google play store. The app requires android 5.0 and up.

9. Andrea Rovai

Oh, I missed that it requires 5.0.
    Then sorry, Android for UDOO Quad won't be here soon and for UDOO NEO next year, not anytime before.