Installed Archlinux successfully...now need OpenGL

Discussion in 'Other OS' started by pires100, Dec 10, 2013.

1. pires100

pires100 New Member

Hi everyone

I managed to install and run the official Archlinux image on my Quad found here ... http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/freescale/udoo

I am enjoying Arch and I managed to install XBMC successfully...but when I try and run XBMC I get the error that 'XBMC needs OpenGL Hardware acceleration. Please install drivers'

Please can someone point me in the right direction for the next steps to take here?!!

Obviously I need to install Vivante drivers right?...but please help me understand how to do this in noob terms as I have never attempted installing drivers in Linux before and I really dont want to use an XBMC image that locks me into an XBMC OS only

thanks in advance

2. ektor5

ektor5 Administrator Staff Member

Hi pires100,

We're working on it.
    At this point the Vivante DRI driver is incompatible with the current Xorg server version on Arch, so we're trying to aligning all the software to an older version.

Remember that this isn't an UDOO related issue, but Freescale I.MX6 instead.

There is nothing that you can do as a newbie user at this moment, but try to ask for help on IRC/Arch Forum to raise the problem, but i'm afraid that the answer will be the same.

Farewell, Ektor5

3. pires100

pires100 New Member

Thank you for the explanation. Do you think at this point it would be better for me to pursue building my own Yocto image with all the packages I want to run in general included? ... Seeing as I want more than just XBMC(Sickbeard,Couchpotato,sabnzbd etc) to run on my Udoo which rules out using the XBMC OS images available on the forum currently...

4. ektor5

ektor5 Administrator Staff Member

I suggest to use and learn an Ubuntu or a Debian distro, as the systems provides a packaging system itself.

Building and customizing a Yocto image is way more painful and difficult than installing a .deb file.

Ektor5

5. bob_the_dog

bob_the_dog New Member

Does anyone have an update on this issue? I'm currently at the same status of XBMC returning

Error: unable to open display
    XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
    Install an appropriate graphics driver.