Is It Compatible With NRF24L01 Arduino 2.4GHz Radio

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Peter Worden, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Peter Worden

Peter Worden New Member

This looks like pretty impressive board! I'm interested in leveraging one of these as a home automation platform that will also supplement my existing unRAID server for services needed 24/7 with minimum power consumption. I have a design question regarding the ability to use a NRF24L01 2.4 GHz radio on this device and also whether or not the Arduino onboard has access to the Ethernet adapter on the unit.

I've played around with NRF24L01 units on an Arduino UNO and learned that when an Ethernet shield is added to the Arduino that suddenly the NRF24L01 unit is dead in the water because it competes for the same pins that the Ethernet shield requires, 10, 11, 12, and 13....
    See pins required for NRF24L01 and comment from Blynk about the Ethernet Shield demanding those pins:
    So basically my question is, what pins does the Udoo x86 use to empower it's Ethernet capabilities to the Arduino? Does it tap into pins 10, 11, 12, and/or 13? If not then the NRF24L01 should work just fine, if yes... game over.

2. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

The UDOO x86 containts for its Arduino part the same Intel Curie chip as the Arduino 101. Therefore I'd say 'if it works on the 101 it will work on the UDOO'.

As for accessing the network on the Arduino part, on the UDOO Neo you can't access the network from the "Arduino" part, and I assume that you can't from the X86 either.

The two parts can communicate to one another though, making it possible to write a program with all kinds of complex logic (including the network access) and a much simpler program on the Arduino, reporting sensor values, executing hardware actions.

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

You have to see the Udoo X86 as a PC with an Arduino 101 always attached through an USB device. The PC is attached to the network.

So on the PC you have to create a program (in C, Python, Java etc) that communicates with the Arduino (through USB) and the network (wifi, LAN).

4. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member