Need Help Connecting Microsoft Kinect

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by dominique, Feb 19, 2017.

1. dominique

dominique Member

Hello. I am interested in using the Udoo Ultra with Android 6.0. I am also interested in using a Microsoft Kinect for speech recognition. The thing is, I do not know how to install the drivers on the Android platform to work alongside Android so I can use the Kinect for a microphone.

Can someone help me?

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there @dominique, Android for x86 architectures such as UDOO X86 is available at android-x86.org There you can find all the answers you have about Android on x86.
    In particular, here is the second release of Android 6 from that website: http://www.android-x86.org/releases/releasenote-6-0-r2
    Downloading this software you will download an image with all the drivers you need to use Android x86. However, we've never tested Kinect with Android x86, so I don't know about that.

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

The advantage is that you can practice it on any PC you have, you don't have to wait for the Udoo X86 :)

4. dominique

dominique Member

Thank you for the reply however I believe you may have misunderstood.

I am wanting to use this with the Android platform, not Windows. It is the installation on Android that has me stumped.

5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Than you missed the fact that a Udoo X86 is a PC. Like any other PC it can run Windows but also Linux and with the port of Android by the Android-x86 community also Android.

So you can take a PC and run Android on it. Check out Android-x86.org for more information.

6. dominique

dominique Member

An Android emulator, I hadn't even thought of doing that. Brilliant. Thanks.

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

It is not an emulator, it is a version of Android build for the X86 architecture as Android was originally build for ARM processors.

This X86 version is also the version that is running on the Udoo X86.

8. Toley

Toley New Member

Personally I really doubt Kinect will run on Android. I never heard about that. Are you actually able to connect and detect a Kinect on an Android phone or tablet?

9. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Microsoft Kinect is very resource intensive. The developers I know who used Kinect in the past, have migrated over to Intel RealSense. The documentation and SDK for the RealSense is better too - https://software.intel.com/en-us/videos/intel-realsense-voice-recognition-sample-application.

For both Kinect and RealSense, I am not sure either have a smooth process of integrating with Android. Though, RealSense was used in Google's Project Tango - https://developers.google.com/project-tango/overview/concepts

10. dominique

dominique Member

I see. Still, having an emulator eliminates my issues since it can be installed on Windows easily.

11. dominique

dominique Member

I dunno about that. It runs just fine with a Raspberry Pi and the specs on that platform are way worse than the specs on the Udoo x86.