[Official] UDOO and the others, a close comparison

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DracoLlasa, Dec 22, 2013.

1. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Hi UDOOers,

Here’s the full infographic “UDOO and the others, a close comparison. Benchmark about the average usage in DIY and EDU fields”. The aim is to compare UDOO Dual & Quad with the other top boards available on market:

Beagle Bone Black
    Wandboard Dual & Quad
    Odroid X2
    Raspberry Pi Model b
    The comparison is focused on power, pricing, limits and operating system support. Click on the image below to see the full infographic.

Link to Infographic: http://www.udoo.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... titors.pdf

Source: http://www.udoo.org/infographic-udoo-an ... omparison/

2. lhl

lhl New Member

I actually own and have evaluated all the boards listed, and overall it's a pretty good chart, but I'd say it's missing one pretty big aspect - power consumption.

The BeagleBone Black for example idles comfortably under 1W and peaks below where the UDOO idles - it's also takes 5V vs 12V and can be USB powered. (It also has a PRU (Programmable Realtime Unit) w/ 2x32-bit RISC cores for realtime tasks, although it's nowhere near as convenient as the UDOO's SAM3X.)

3. theoski

theoski New Member

I think the chart needs to include three more things:

1) distros maturity which frankly is UDOO's biggest shortcoming
    2) plus some common benchmarks, so we can at least attempt to benchmark apples to apples

4. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

I agree Maturity of the UDOO image(s) is a shortcoming but including it in a chart that is about hardware specs may not really fit. especially since the software can and will mature where the hardware is perm stuck where it is until a new revision is release in which case its a new product to compare.

Regarding the common benchmarking, i just released my initial benchmarking results of some common boards that i have access to, link in my signature. Please feel free to provide feedback if you have suggestion for better benchmarking methods. i have a few different boards so i can do the testing. There is at least one or 2 other threads around here regarding becnhmarking against other boards.

Unfortunately i dont have access to a few of the boards int he infographic so i cant compare against them

5. paulbearne

paulbearne New Member

like lhl I also own these as well as Intels Edison and Galileo but as theoski say's your not comparing apple with apples. you can't really compare these like for like without grouping them into target market. in my case i am looking for a device to run on battery that can process analogue data quickly as well as communicating when not attached to a pc which the Beagle ,Edison , Galileo do well but each fails in other aspects which is why i'm now tinkering with the Udoo Neo which so far appears to be a combination of all 3 with the added advantage of a 9 axis motion sensors on board.
    for me the benchmarks should include
    1. Power consumption Idle , Avg and Startup.
    2. as well as number of IO pins but types
    3 Speed of IO
    4 intended use or what they would be best used as (today most are aimed at the IOT market)
    you could almost have two classes cheap pc replacement your pi type devices high importance on graphics usb etc and IOT which put high inmportance on IO , connectivity etc