Problems with Communication between Android and Arduino

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by hipnotizer, Sep 2, 2015.

1. hipnotizer

hipnotizer New Member

Hi There, currently I have a xbee module connected to the rx pin of the udoo(pin 0). I have also modified the android-arduino bidirectional code to get readings from a remote sensor. Why is it that sometimes, i can't get any readings from the due's rx pin( Serial.available()) whereas I can turn ON the LED from the android code. Moreover I am quite confused with the jumpers. Is there a manual for the purpose of the jumpers? lastly, the only way to launch the app is by disabling external otg and waiting for a prompt? correct me if i am wrong. Thank you for your help.

Reply from Facebook Support Staff:

Hi there
    here are the answers to your questions:
    a) if your code is well-made your problem could be due to android thread management.
    b) for what concerns the jumpers:
    -J2: power otg bus (needs to be plugged to work with Android ADB)
    -J16: resets Arduino.
    -J18: if plugged, it allows the microusb connector cn3 to communicate with the main processor - imx6; unplugged, cn3 communicates with Arduino.
    -J22: erase the Arduino sketch.
    3) You can also reset the Arduino with J16. Anyway, you better post this question in the forum, so others can benefit from these answers.
    Finally, we suggest to take a look at the UDOO Starting Manual: http://udoo.org/download/files/Documents/UDOO_Starting_Manual_beta0.4_11_28_2013.pdf
    Best regards,
    UDOO Team

2. hipnotizer

hipnotizer New Member

2nd Question: Hi There. Just to confirm something. Currently whenever I load the Android app using the studio into the UDOO, I remove the J2 first and enable external OTG. Thereafter, I plug the J2 in to allow communication between the Arduino and the Android app. What do you mean by power otg bus for Android ADB? Thanks once again!

Reply from Facebook Support Staff:
    J2 is used to power the OTG Bus. But in order to load your Android app into the board you don't need to remove it. Just use the CN3 USB port to connect to Android studio. Cheers