Programming UDOO to send and receive data serially with a PC

Discussion in 'General Programming Discussion' started by Saad, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Saad

Saad New Member

Hello everyone,

I am using UDOO Quad, and my project is to build a protocol that communicates serially between UDOO board (as an embedded system) and PC (GUI platform)

Quick information about the project system as a start point to create the serial protocol between UDOO and PC, it's requested from me to start working on i.MX6 only bare metal mode "not to use SAM3/Arduino" and I have no idea how to do it. So, my questions are:

• How to start working on this?
    • Can anyone guess which protocol interface that is fit for this system?

I'm very grateful to you for any help or notes.
    Many thanks for your time in advance,

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

3. Saad

Saad New Member

Hi Andrea,
    Thank you for a point. For now, I'm confusing between USB and Ethernet for video data which one to use? Because, it's easy to use USB but you know it is two releases USB 2.0 which supports up to 480 Mb/s and the other one USB 3.0 which supports up to 5 Gb/s and this maybe a hardware issue in implementation due to the current USB ports in laptops or PSs support to USB 2.0 speeds and I want USB 3.0 speeds. On the other side, Ethernet, also it is not easy to use Ethernet because I'm working on i.MX6 only bare metal mode and that means a kind of difficult in programming. I'm really thank you for your cooperation on this.

Thanks,
    Saad

4. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there again,
    we never tried working on UDOO Bare Metal thus I cannot help you on this topic. My best suggestion is to seek for help here.