Screen Alternates between "No Signal" And Default "UDOO" image

Discussion in 'UDOO QUAD' started by William Ryan, Dec 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. William Ryan

William Ryan New Member

I've been fighting getting this thing booted all day. I have a QUAD and have not used it in a few weeks, started using again with both the Marshmallow image and latest UDOOBuntu image. In any case, I finally get it and was trying to add a keyboard to it and reset it. I was fighting this flickering (not the exact word, it's Alternating between being Booted and the "No Signal". I used a direct connection into two other monitors, a ASUS and ViewSonic and both just show No Signal. With the AOC, I have a DVI Connector that feeds into the HDMI cable. I was getting the flicker before but it stopped and that's when I tried to attach mouse and keyboard and accidentally reset things.

You'll see the UDOO image clear as day for a few seconds, then it drops and goes to NO Signal. I've walked through the steps using PUTTY but at this point but to no avail. I have the LCD Kit but when I try using that I get nothing and I suspect it may be damaged b/c of slipping in a briefcase. It's possible the board is damaged although it looked fine until I accidentally hit the Reset and it was working fine the last time I used it and hasn't been moved much at all. I'm going to step away (thinking I have tunnel vision ) and walk through the steps with PUTTY Again, I wasn't able to get either of my Windows 10 machines to even see it but I'm positive this is either a bad component or an idiot at the other end trying to troubleshoot it.

What I was hoping is that someone has encountered this before and could save me a step. I'm about to buy a few more UDOO boards. Another QUAD and supporting a company I love by pre-ordering a few devices is always a legit excuse to spend some money. However if someone could confirm this happened to them before, and it's either bad cable, something wrong/shorted with board, etc I'd greatly appreciate it. The fact I can't get it to work at all with any of the other monitors, I can't use the UDOO LCD Screen etc makes me think it's something shorted (but it'd be nice to know just so I don't spend any extra time and just hurry up and order my new ones)

Any and all help appreciated and if I left anything out

2. William Ryan

William Ryan New Member

Sorry forgot to add images - tried to add video but it's either too big or not accepted. In any case, it alternates between these

Attached Files:

3. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

If you suspect your hardware is broken then my advise would be to take this up with UDOO's excellent customer care.

Alternatively you could try to make a new SD with the latest UDOObunto release, configure it to go to LVDS. If that works then hardware wise all is good and it is a configuration problem of your setup.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

And try another HDMI cable first.

5. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

The UDOO screens work via LVDS, not HDMI.

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Marshmellow, Android 6, starts default in HDMI mode so first try that. You have to set LVDS screen through the settings menu. The instructions for setting LVDS in KitKat, Android 4, do not work in marshmellow!

7. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

Indeed, if you haven't configured LVDS right you will get what you described. So, connecting your UDOO to your TV with a HDMI cable is a simple option to see if it is configured to HDMI instead of LVDS. I was under the assumption that you already had configured your system to use LVDS.

8. William Ryan

William Ryan New Member

Thanks everyone. The one thing though, is that it was working, before, with same setup (granted different image so I get it) but even yesterday it would work twice until I opened the browser. I'll try the TV and the LVDS - at first I was just trying to make sure the board worked and i could get it to boot, It seems I can so off to next plan. Ordered a new board just b/c you can never have too many and put in a help desk ticket but runing with everyone's suggestions now, I'll reply back with how it works. Thanks again!

waltervl likes this.
  9. William Ryan

William Ryan New Member

Ok, so problem is , I went back to all of the old stuff and I'm afraid the board is damaged. I reordered one, but yesterday, twice I was able to get in and start running commands - it wasn't until I opened the browser that problems happened.

I can't get to configure LVDS b/c I can't get into it b/c of flicker. I reverted back to really old images and used same everything - the problem is I'm afraid the housekeeper may have dropped the case by accident and not realize it.

I went ahead and pulled the HDMI cable and connected in with the UDOO screen and it does the same thing . Each images flickers in between seeing UDOO and then the No Signal. On the older images I see it going through the boot sequence which is a plus. I'm wondering if there's some straightforward way to tell if it's the board (I ordered a new one, and I have a lot of time this week so was hoping running sooner rather than later). I'm the lead data scientist at a company and am working on porting facial and emotion recognition app on to a board. I'm not completley ignorant of embedded systems, but mainly had experience with Windows Embedded so a little clueless.

If I can just get a stable connection I'm good - those new connections had the Wifi set up, this old one I believe does but I'm not sure. I can't even get a terminal window in and I'm watching the network traffic to see if it's connected. It seems to stay connected with new images but then drops, then comes back on - but it's clearly not rebooting.

I realize this probably sounds totally convoluted so my apologies for speaking like a a N00b while asking for help, this is just out of my area of expertise and I'm self-taught the whole way.

10. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

You can connect to the UDOO Quad via Serial USB and stop at boot time, or boot and login as root. At least you can get in and change stuff via the command line, or change u-boot parameters, that is how I set up LVDS.

11. William Ryan

William Ryan New Member

Hello everyone. First off thanks for all of your help. So I put in a support desk ticket but I'm able to finally connect to putty. The flickering I mention on the Screen, it seems to correspond with Putty. Putty just keeps running, it runs over and over - [Starting kernel] Hit any key to stop autoboot

I keep seeing a few errors:

No Battery Devices Found:
    No Charger Supplies Found (Although this is the one I got from UDOO and it matches the criteria specified)
    Warning BAD CRC Using Default Environment
    Warning No Contiguous Memory Is resrved for GPU (This seems like a problem)
    No vmmc regulartor found

And then this:

3.568663] init: write_file: Unable to open '/proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs': No such file or directory
    [ 3.579100] init: write_file: Unable to open '/proc/sys/kernel/sched_tunable_scaling': No such file or directory
    [ 3.589427] init: write_file: Unable to open '/proc/sys/kernel/sched_latency_ns': No such file or directory
    [ 3.599449] init: write_file: Unable to open '/proc/sys/kernel/sched_wakeup_granularity_ns': No such file or directory
    [ 3.610225] init: write_file: Unable to open '/proc/sys/kernel/sched_compat_yield': No such file or directory
    [ 3.620999] init: write_file: Unable to write to '/dev/cpuctl/cpu.shares': Invalid argument
    [ 3.630883] init: write_file: Unable to open '/proc/sys/abi/swp': No such file or directory

It looks like it just loops, going to try with newer distro. But in any case, adding the putty output if that might help?

Attached Files:

12. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

Do your monitor(s) support HDMI and 1080p (1920x1080) or DVI ? From your logs when uboot run its display at image at 720p hence why to see the UDOO logo, after this the kernel boots and it is expects a 1080p monitor.

13. William Ryan

William Ryan New Member

JAS-MX - I took your advice and also got new connectors which was suggested by WalterVL. In the end, both worked with each image and I was able to run through LVDS. As I suspected, it was the dummy at the end of the other end that was the source of the problems.

As sincerly as I can thank all of you, I truly appreciate everyone's responses and while I ordered up a few other boards, I'm very glad to have this one working.

I'm using it in conjunction with Microsoft's Cognitive Services which will let you do several things. This app analyzes emotions in pictures or videos. I'm planning on Open Sourcing it but do have a business idea i'm working on. If anyone is interested in what I've done with it or how it works (or ever needs help with anything (R, Cassandra, Greenplum, Python, Statistical Modelling, Neural Networks, AI), I would be honored to return the hospitality and as I get back into working with UDOO I can only hope to be as helpful to others as you all have been. My sincere gratitude to everyone that responded.

Maurice and waltervl like this.