screen lvds connector for reanimation old laptop

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by RaTaJ, Nov 15, 2016.

1. RaTaJ

RaTaJ New Member

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  2. vpeter

vpeter Active Member

You need something like this appropriate for your display.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  3. wdyggh

wdyggh New Member

Recently, good LCDs are using the eDP interface instead of LVDS , i'm also looking for the eDP interface board. I will using the x86 as a motherboard in a laptop case. Here is a HDMI to eDP board link and link2. In my opinion, maybe another approach to connect an eDP LCD, but i'm not sure. Because there is two miniDP++ conntector in X86, and i found this miniDP++2eDP cable link1 and link2. If anyone knows this possible, please tell us.
    Best regards!

4. _nikita

_nikita New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have used and bought several DP to eDP and HDMI 1.4 to eDP boards from Abusemark - http://www.abusemark.com/store/
    His/Their boards work well with EDP panel LG LP097QX1 - 9.7" 2048x1536(ipad 3/4 IPS LCD). Problem is this is a niche resolution and although you can see I used two panel with hdmi2dp and dp2edp board on Intel nuc 6i3 with Intel graphics 520 ...most hardware out there does not work well(meaning at all) with such a niche resolution.

Elecrealm on us ebay http://stores.ebay.com/ElecRealm/DP-eDP-Controller-Board-/_i.html?_fsub=6667650014
    have good selection of EDP panels with driver/controller boards for them ...anything up to 4k.
    Prices on elecrealm however are not as good...might as well buy a monitor for that price.

At 89 a pop udoo x86 with EDP 4k output might be good enough for a cheap monitor assuming it had enough input bandwidth to pibe$ raw HDMI. The gigs of ram CPU is a nice extra when you look at it this way.
    Having written that I would not be holding my breath though - it will need an hdcp capable HDMI decoder ic (add-on module) Plus latency issues limited to hardware bandwidth and speed(celeron is not real time CPU or FPGA after all).Add to that slow/slower bootup time until os loads and writing the software... Very unlikely indeed.
    Only possible to drive eDP panel limited to the celeron chip OS IMHO. Everything else would be a flaky half baked solution.

5. Xav

Xav New Member

LVDS could come from the 20 GPIO and also from a pcie with a M2 hat on the X86, right ?

What's left is a BIOS driver to interact already there, a port for Keyboard/Pad and some kind of battery reading.

6. Laura

Laura UDOOer

I do not think it's possible to drive LVDS using GPIO. Not sure if there would be enough resources for bit banging an equivalent high speed differential signal.

Once everyone starts receiving the UDOO X86, I'm sure we will start seeing users share handy methods of achieving a laptop like experience. A good resource to follow, is the UDOO hackster page - https://www.hackster.io/udoo