Sound for a speaker phone and handset

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bsutton, May 11, 2014.

1. bsutton

bsutton New Member

So I'm trying to build a one-off touch screen desk phone. More piece of art than phone, but I'm looking for excellent quality audio ideally supporting wide band codecs.

First statement is, hardware is not my thing so pardon my ignorance.

I've been reading all of the posts and all of the sundry info I can find but its all clear as mud.

My requirements are to have a microphone and speaker built into the front panel of the phone as well as the expected microphone and speaker in a receiver.
    I also need to be able to support a headset. Ideally rj11 but USB would work as a fall back. Generally the rj11 headsets are of higher quality than USB headsets.
    To perhaps state the obvious, only a single pair of mic/speaker would be in use at any one time (e.g. handset, speaker phone or headset).

I can see that the board has 2.5mm jacks for input/output but I'm seeing different stories about the quality on these ports and I'm not even sure these ports would be appropriate to connect to the above mentioned devices.

I see the device has an S/PDIF but my understanding is that this is for optical or coaxial output so I don't believe this is useful for my application.

I can see that the board has an i2s bus. Can this be used to connection a microphone/speaker or do I need hardware between the bus and the mic/speaker such as a DAC. Are there mic's/speakers that directly support i2s?

I've had a look at the spec of vt1613 audio chip on the board but to be honest It doesn't make much sense to me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me that the board simply won't do what I want?

Thanks in advance,
    Brett

2. Min Raj Nepali

Min Raj Nepali New Member

I also have similar kind of issue, i just ported UDDO ubuntu 2 RC in my board, but while trying to run a video via VLC media player it doesn't happen. Also, if I play .wav file the sound doesn't come from speaker port.
    Any help on that??

Thanks in Advance