Suggestion on Android Support for Udoo

Discussion in 'Android' started by softy342, Jul 24, 2015.

1. softy342

softy342 New Member

HI,
    I am thinking to buy the Udoo board but before that I wanted to know whether Android 4.4.4 and Higher versions(Lolipop) will be supported on this or not in near future.What all peripherals support will NOT be there ?
    I have been an avid user of panda-board and beagle board but being too costly and panda dead now, I wanted to change the board.
    Please advice !
    Thanks in advance.
    Rgds
    S

2. Roowin

Roowin New Member

Hi,

I am using android on my udoo board. And I need some functionally of the android lolipop.
    Will you make a support for android lollipop ?

Thanks to your answer.
    Rgds.

3. softy342

softy342 New Member

Hi Roowin,
    Is that a Qs to me or to the community?
    Well I am trying the same , first port Android L to some hw board and then look out for speicific peripheral hw features/functionality.
    Rgds,

4. Roowin

Roowin New Member

Hi,

It was a question to everybody.
    I don't have any skill in OS port, but if you need any help to port Android L on udoo, i will be glad to help you as much as i can.

Rgds

5. softy342

softy342 New Member

Thanks for the prompt reply.
    I will let you know via other posts on this.
    Rgds

6. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there guys,
    UDOO Neo will support Android Lollipop by default at the time of the shipping.
    However, at the moment our priorities are UDOO Neo and UDOObuntu 2 based on Kernel 3.14. For what concerns Lollipop for Dual and Quad, we will work on it for sure, but we have to consider before what the next priority will be.

7. iddqd

iddqd Member

Thats mean: "throw away your QUADs. It is unsupported now".
    And then it would be repeated on Udoo Neo customers next year, when Udoo HyperNeo would be launched.
    Neo will support Lollipop the same way as old udoo board on it's launch with tons of bugs and almost completely unusable?
    Simple "turn off button" support wasn's realized yet.
    Brilliant!
    Andrea, why you doesn't make official statement that old UDOO's is unsupported now? Why you again and again repeat "we will work on it for sure" for couple of years without results?

idorel77 likes this.
  8. Andrea Rovai

Hi there iddqd,
    we don't say UDOO is unsupported because it wouldn't be true. This very moment we are working both on UDOO Neo and on the new kernel and UDOObuntu for Quad and Dual. It would be really stupid on our part to unsupport the standard UDOO for a brand named UDOO, don't you think? Neo has be to shipped yet! The problem is time is a limited resource, and we are a little team. If you do a quick search in the forum, you'll see there are a lot of requested software improvements, like - not mentioning Kernel 3.14, UDOObuntu and other stuff we are already working on - an updated Arduino, Lollipop, new tutorials, qt5, etc. So we have to define priorities. I think, but this is just my point of view as a daily reader of the forum, that an updated Arduino is more requested than Lollipop. What's your opinion? Obviously our goal is to satisfy the users, so priorities must be based on the community's demand.

9. iddqd

iddqd Member

My opinion - that you must fullfill your own promises about software part of already released hardware. Look on your campaign on kikstarter: "further Android releases will be available at the time of distribution". And what we have?
    Android is already unsupported for years. January release fix almost nothing. Where is for example android market? Where is spdif support? Where sata support? (yes, I know about fork, but why you can't take that code in you branch with credits to author?)
    Your resources are limited? But why you release new platform instead of fixing current bugs?
    You already didn't satisfy Android users. Look on android thread: it's dead. Users looks through the posts, see posts like "not yet", "I don't know when", "isn't fixed on current releas and would be fixed "when it's done"" and leave it forever.

For example: I bought quad board for the car project. Unfortunatelly I missed kikstarter campaign and wait for release. It sounds so promising to have arduino and android on the same board with built in wifi, sata, spdif out for clean sound and powerfull hardware. And what I got? Sata and spdif don't work. Play market isn't there, perfomance is not as good as it should be, strange bugs and so on.
    "Fortunately" I have some other problems that stopped my work on project )))).

frudman and idorel77 like this.
  10. idorel77

idorel77 Member

I agree!

11. Andrea Rovai

Hi there all,
    Gapps may be downloaded on this link by following this procedure.
    The reason why Gapps are not pre-installed is the extremely high cost. You maybe ignore this issue, but having Gapps pre-installed would hugely increase the cost of the board, because Gapps pre-installed don't come for free for the manufacturer.
    Then I didn't understand completely the part about spdif and sata support. You are aware of the Primiano Tucci image I can guess. So are you asking us to put that image on our official repository? Did I understand?
    What to say about Android support? You're right. I'd like we'd be able to do more.

12. iddqd

iddqd Member

Ok for Gapps then. I didn't knew about "extremely high cost" for having it preinstalled.
    Spdif and Sata - it would be great if you adopt the code of Tucci and get it working in your distro.
    Don't get me wrong - the board is great, but you should pay more attention to software part, fullfill your promises after forum posts and release images with bugfixes more often. Even fixing minor android bugs like "disabling adb after reboot" make users happy. )))
    Something like "cyanogen nightly builds". The images for android\ubuntu automatically generated every week from repository and users make fast bugreports.
    That way you clean obvious and small bugs and you have great economy on testing distros. Also as the image has "nightly" status - it's clean for everyone that it can contain bugs.
    Unfortunatelly I am not a nix developer of any level (((.

frudman likes this.
  13. frudman

frudman Member

Not sure if you got sufficient replies yet or not but, adding my 2 cents, sadly I must tell you that Android support is pretty much non-existent on the Udoo board (both hardware board and "forum" boards!). That's too bad because it's a great little board (esp. for prototyping) and Android opens many possibilities but what you see is what you get. After that, you're on your own.

I suspect the problem is that the Udoo staff is working on too many project (hardware platforms, software, ...) and Android is getting the short end of the stick.

To get an idea, just check out the Android forum questions and their lack-of answers (most are closed, however, with the all-encompassing "not a priority for us, other platforms (e.g. udoobuntu) more important").

As Andrea Rovai (of Udoo) himself says "What to say about Android support? You're right. I'd like we'd be able to do more."

Oh well...

iddqd likes this.