UDoobuntu Minimal Configuration help/documentation for WIFI et al?

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by ChrisC, Jul 29, 2016.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to Udoo, but i've been around MCUs and Linux for a while. I started trying out Udoobuntu neo desktop, but I found the performance to be pretty terrible, specifically when using the Arduino ID to program the M4. I instead grabbed Udoobuntu Minimal and I've been playing a bit with that, but I can't seem to find documentation on it anywhwere. When they say minimal, they really meant minimal...

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find documentation on (at the very least) how I can set up wifi from Minimal? Is there documentation for any other common tasks that someone using minimal might want to add back in? I've tried modifying some guides for other linux distros, but nothing really seems to work well for that.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

4. ChrisC

ChrisC New Member

I appreciate that, I actually switched to external programming right after I wrote my initial question, so that has been much better.

I get that minimal is for "experienced" users, but I maintain that there still needs to be at least "minimal" documentation (pardon the pun). I've set up more than a few linux OSes in my time, and most of them headless/terminal only. I actually prefer it that way.

The real issue, however, is that wifi doesn't work out of the box on minimal, and there are no documents or hints as to what we need to set it up. it was simple-ish to figure out how to turn on the eth0 interface, but anyone whose ever tried to set up wifi via the terminal knows that there is no nix-standard way of doing this. It relies heavily on different infrastructures, different programs, and different configuration files, all of which vary from release version to release version of different distros.

Barring that there is no larger documentation set for "Minimal", have any of you successfully gotten wifi working via minimal? If so, can you provide some more info on how to do it? Is there a post that covers it?

Any help with wifi on minimal would be greatly appreciated.

5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  6. cyrilf

cyrilf Active Member

Hi,

I have the same issue with WLAN drivers. They're at least loaded (cfg80211, mac80211, wlcore and wl18xx) but no wlanX interface appears. This happen with the official minimal UDOObuntu distro and my own custom distro based on the official kernel as well.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  7. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

It may be a hardware problem. Please contact the customer care and we'll offer assistance.

8. cyrilf

cyrilf Active Member

The UDOObuntu distribution works well on my UDOO neo so this isn't a hardware problem but more a software problem with WLAN driver support in the kernel sources and with UDOObuntu minimal.

9. oxoocoffee

oxoocoffee Member

It would be great to add in future proper WLAN support. Please do in future :) !!!!

cyrilf likes this.
  10. cyrilf

cyrilf Active Member