Using Unity3D to develop for Udoo

Discussion in 'Android' started by GuillaumeM1986, Nov 16, 2016.

1. GuillaumeM1986

GuillaumeM1986 New Member

Hi everybody,
    Don't know if I am writing this at the right place and maybe it is gonna sound stupid because I am a newbie (and english is not my first language).
    So I was wondering if I could use Unity3D to develop something for Udoo. I am an interactive designer and I am working on some installations projects.

Considering that I got a background in visual scripting I thought using this plug-in for Unity
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/59656

And that plug-in for Arduino
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/62912

So could I use Unity to develop an app for Linux or Android and then install it on Udoo?
    And can we develop something for Android or Linux and using some sensor on the Arduino and make them communicating together? By my impression that was the point of the Udoo, but I ask just in case I am an idiot and I didn't understand something.

Maybe this video will help to understand what I am saying.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2016
    Andrea Rovai likes this.
  2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi @GuillaumeM1986,
    and welcome to the UDOO Forum!
    With UDOO you mean UDOO Dual/Quad, do you? In this case:
    1. yes, you can use Unity3D to develop stuff for UDOO Dual/Quad;
    2. I don't know if those plugins will work with UDOO Dual/Quad; if they are written in C you will have to recompile them;
    3. Android, Linux and Arduino can work together in UDOO Dual/Quad. I suggest you to follow our documentation for this.
    Anyway, if you are an interaction designer and thus you are not an ace at coding, I suggest you to go for UDOO X86.
    It is based on x86 architecture, the same of consumer desktop PCs, therefore you'll find yourself at home, with the compatibility with everything that already exists for the PC world. And it also embeds an Arduino 101. Give it a check: http://www.udoo.org/udoo-x86/

3. GuillaumeM1986

GuillaumeM1986 New Member

Thank You very much for the quick answer.

1. Good!

2. The first plug-in it's actually a true mirror for C# the native language for Unity, when you compile them it become true C# code that you can write and rewrite in the inspector.
    The second plug-in just use the Unity environment when you are finish it export a C++ code for the Arduino IDE

3. I'll check it out for sure

Thank you again

4. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Thanks for your info @GuillaumeM1986, but I cannot ensure that those plugins will work on UDOO Dual/Quad. For sure they will on UDOO X86.

GuillaumeM1986 likes this.