Video chat/video phone device

Discussion in 'Application & Utilities' started by chnyc, Dec 30, 2013.

1. chnyc

chnyc New Member

Greetings!

Before purchasing an UDOO board, I'm interested in determining if it might be a viable platform for a dedicated video chat device.

I've been developing a similar prototype on the Beaglebone Black but am running into a variety of limitations on that platform. The (open source) client apps I've been using on the Beaglebone Black include Linphone, Jitsi, Ekiga, and HTML5/webrtc, none of which perform smoothly. I'm very curious to test their perfomance on UDOO.

Does anyone...

1) Have any experience developing video chat (aka VOIP phone, softphone, etc.) with UDOO, yet?
    2) Have any pointers or gotchas for a use case such as this, since it will require:
    • sufficient horsepower to deliver real-time video and audio
      camera add-on (webcam?)
      audio in/out

Thanks for any thoughts or guidance, both on the hardware and software front.
    Charles

2. rootScript

rootScript Member

@chnyc
    I just ordered the Udoo CSI camera module, 5Mpx with autofocus.

Features:
    Auto focus control (AFC) with embedded AF VCM driver
    Image transfer rate
    VGA (320x480) @120fps
    VGA (640x480) @90fps
    720p @60fps
    1280x960 @45fps
    1080p @30fps
    QSXGA (2592x1944) @15fps
    Sensitivity: 600mV/lux-sec
    Video capture in Full Field of View (FOV):
    double sensitivity,improved signal-to.noise ratio (SNR)
    Post-binning re-sampling filter for sharper,
    crisper contours and colours
    Internal anti-shaking engine

It looks like a good spec webcam; I too am interested in its real-time performance

3. grandma

grandma New Member

Hi, I'm working on a video call system too.

After trying the raspberry Pi (model B clocked to 1GHz) I soon discovered you need more horsepower as it would struggle at 100% CPU doing 320x240 videocalling (ekiga). Looking for other boards, I found UDOO and was very enthusiastic about the initiative, so I bought a dual core version in a blink. The logic being that twice the cores at the same frequency with twice the ram would make it twice as capable, so no mote struggling..

So far I've tested Jitsi and Skype, unfortunately my UDOO does not recognize my webcam yet (so no audio or video input), plus It does not have audio output yet. I'm not sure about the webcam, but the audio is a known issue in android for UDOO and I trust the developers will come up with a solution in due time (but don't let that distract you from Bluetooth dear developers as I really need that too ;) )
    You will probably have more luck using Linux for the video calling but for me that's not an option.

Performance of the dual on android, as far as can be assessed, was ok. Although I could only see the video feed from my laptop on the UDOO and not vice versa, and there was no sound, the UDOO was running just one core at about 40% on both jitsi and Skype. Video (resolution looked like 320x240, "medium" on skype) was fairly smooth. I'm sorry that I don't have any quantitative data.

My guess is having two way video would up the processor usage (one core) to 80%. Two way at vga (640x480) would then be four times that, so I might have to turn to the quad version for that to happen. I must stress however that this is just my guess, I don't know if this logic applies in practice. If it does however, I will be one happy engineer :D

4. grandma

grandma New Member

Ok, just tested Jitsi from my android smartphone to laptop, and the processor logic does not apply.

Phone is a moto G (1.2GHz quadcore 1GB RAM, so I guess pretty comparable to the UDOO quad). Two way video with sound gets (Phone): one core up to maybe 30% and a second to 10% or so, RAM was at around 80% used.

Meanwhile laptop to phone video was ok, but phone to laptop a bit laggy. So it seems the bottleneck is somewhere in the data stream, maybe it is the connection speed. I noted you need around 60-70kB/s up- and down- speed but I'm pretty nooby so I don't know if this is actually near some limits.

Both Phone and laptop were connected to the same wifi router by the way.

If indeed connection speed was the bottleneck here we should have to check how the UDOO performs in this respect to give you an idea of whether it would be a viable platform for videocalling. Or I should get my webcam working so I can do a real test...

-hope this helps!

5. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

6. holly

holly New Member

Can anyone confirm that UDOO Quad with the AF Camera can work as a viable WebRTC client for videochat? Now that Android Chrome got WebRTC support, I'm thinking about using it for the client. Does anyone tried that, or do you have any alternative solutions?

Thanks in advance,
    Maya

7. Diego ZoracKy

Diego ZoracKy New Member

Also searching for this answer. Did you find it Holly?

8. Apurba

Apurba New Member

Any solution yet on ubuntu build?
    I am finding solution for webrtc.

9. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

@holly: on udoobuntu by enabling a camera from the udoo configuration tool you can see the camera as a standard webcam, thus I suppose it is viable (es. /dev/video7)

10. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Es. means example, sorry

11. Paul

Paul New Member

Do you know if this WebRTC videophone for Raspberry can be ported to UDOO (possibly UDOO NEO)?

http://linux-projects.org
    http://www.linux-projects.org/downloads/screenshots/webrtc-twoway.png

If I am not wrong the UDOO board camera module is similar to the Rpi camera module so it should be possible.