x86 Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Jayce, Feb 10, 2017.

?

Which of the x86 version is suitable for creating an interactive whiteboard?

1. x86 Basic

100.0%
  2. x86 Advance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. x86 Advance Plus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jayce

Jayce New Member

Please bear with me as I have average knowledge when it comes SBC and electronics stuff alike. But I am willing to research and learn, so I hope you guys answer as I plan to invest in buying your maker board.

1.) Does x86 storage comes from an SD card like in Raspberry Pi? On advanced plus, it is listed that is has a 32GB storage, so does it mean it has its own storage like in a common CPU?

2.) Does it have built in WiFi and Bluetooth? Or do you have to buy a module for it to have said wireless connectivity? In the specs, it shows it has BT but it is on the micro controller part and not on the SOC.

- If it has built in BT, what kind or type? Ex. BLE, BT 4.0 etc.
    - Can WiFi or Bluetooth dongle / adapter be used as an alternative like in general PCs?
    - Do x86 compatible with older peripherals such as Wii-remote?

3.) It features a built in Arduino but does it has the same capability like the original? Ex. Arduino Uno.

4.) Do you have a starter kit or somethings which includes the board, power supply, SD card, case and HDMI cable?

- Can I use generic HDMI cable and power supply as long as it has the same required voltage, ampere and wattage?

5.) There are maker boards which features pre-installed windows OS. Does x86 have it too, or one has to download-install in an SD card like in Raspberry Pi.

6.) The site shop tells the x86 boards are all in pre-order. When can we expect it to be available? And does it ship on other destinations like Asia, specifically Philippines. I'm asking as I will be using the board on my project this current school year (June to October.)

7.) One of the reason why I want to buy and use x86 is because I plan to make an interactive whiteboard for our school as we still use old school blackboard as medium of teaching. By creating a built in CPU on the projector and the use of Wiimote and IR pen, I can construct an economical whiteboard which will benefit both professors and students. x86 because most of the programs / software for interactive whiteboard are made specifically for windows. This is what I'm talking about :

I hope you guys answer, sorry If I have too much questions. Thanks in advance.

2. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for UDOO, and I haven't received my x86 yet. Answers based on my current knowledge. I can't be held liable for any purchasing decisions made on my answers.

1.)a]Does x86 storage comes from an SD card like in Raspberry Pi? On advanced plus, it is listed that is has a 32GB storage, so does it mean it has its own storage like in a common CPU?
    I don't know what you mean with 'a common CPU', as CPUs don't have persistent storages. The UDOO X85 has a onboard 'SSD', and you can add external drives and such.

2.) Does it have built in WiFi and Bluetooth?
    - If it has built in BT, what kind or type? Ex. BLE, BT 4.0 etc.

Yes, Wifi on the X86, BLE, part of the Arduino 101.

- Can WiFi or Bluetooth dongle / adapter be used as an alternative like in general PCs?
    The X86 part is just like a PC., so I can't see why not.

- Do x86 compatible with older peripherals such as Wii-remote?
    As far as they are compatible with an X86 PC already. There are also WII nunchuk adapters for Arduino, and I assume they'll work on the Arduino 101 as well. If you can get the Wii-mote sensor bar working on an Arduino you can use it to send information to the X86. This is something you can already try out by purchasing an Arduino.

3.) It features a built in Arduino but does it has the same capability like the original? Ex. Arduino Uno
    .It has an Arduino 101 on board, and has the same capabilities as the 101.
    "Speaking of hardware, UDOO X86 has the same pinout layout of Arduino™ 101. In other words, UDOO X86 is compatible with all Arduino™ 101-compatible shields, sensors and actuators."

4.) Do you have a starter kit or somethings which includes the board, power supply, SD card, case and HDMI cable?
    I think a power supply was included.

- Can I use generic HDMI cable and power supply as long as it has the same required voltage, ampere and wattage?
    Yes.

5.) There are maker boards which features pre-installed windows OS. Does x86 have it too, or one has to download-install in an SD card like in Raspberry Pi.
    You/d have to install your own OS.

6.) The site shop tells the x86 boards are all in pre-order. When can we expect it to be available? And does it ship on other destinations like Asia, specifically Philippines. I'm asking as I will be using the board on my project this current school year (June to October.)
    I thought Kickstarter orders are being shipped mid-march.

7.) One of the reason why I want to buy and use x86 is because I plan to make an interactive whiteboard for our school as we still use old school blackboard as medium of teaching. By creating a built in CPU on the projector and the use of Wiimote and IR pen, I can construct an economical whiteboard which will benefit both professors and students. x86 because most of the programs / software for interactive whiteboard are made specifically for windows.
    I assume the UDOO X86 will be very usable for such a project.

3. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

UDOO X86 has various storage options:
    1. Micro SD
    2. eMMC, if the model you have bought features eMMC.
    3. HDD or SSD, that you can attach through the SATA port
    4. SSD, attached through through the M2 slot.
    In other words, each UDOO X86 has a Micro SD card reader. The maximum capacity of such Micro SD card reader is 2 TB, but we have tested up to 32 GB.
    Advanced Plus and Ultra also feature 32 GB of eMMC.
    Finally, you can exploit the M2 slot to attach an SSD like the one that you can find in our shop: http://shop.udoo.org/eu/m-2-ssd-transcend-mts600.html

A warning: UDOO X86 comes without any software / OS preinstalled. This means that you will have to install the OS yourself. The operation for such procedure is standard.

This needs a clarification.
    The CPU of UDOO X86 doesn't have a built-in Wi-Fi/BT module. Instead, it has a Wi-Fi/BT connector. This means that it has what it's needed for you to attach a Wi-Fi/BT module, such as the one we sell in our shop: http://shop.udoo.org/eu/m-2-wi-fi-intel-dual-band-ac-wi-fi-bt-4-0-5ghz-antenna-adhesive.html
    The Intel Curie on UDOO X86, i.e. the Arduino microcontroller onboard, has a built-in BLE module, exactly like Arduino 101. But pay attention: the CPU cannot access this BLE module. Also, if you attach a Wi-Fi/BT module the Arduino won't access it. In other words, the Arduino on the UDOO X86 is exactly like an Arduino 101 attached to an Intel CPU.

No, it doesn't. Instead it has the same architecture and capability of Arduino 101: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoard101 which is the newest Arduino by Arduino, based on Intel module.

We don't have an option called "Starter Kit" for UDOO X86 in the shop. However, the power supply is included with the board, you don't have the fetch another one. For what concerns other accessories, once you are purchasing the board, the e-commerce suggests you lots of compatible accessories, such as the Wi-Fi module I told you about, or the SSD, accessories you can pre-order.

You can use whichever HDMI cable.
    You can use whichever power supply that supplies the board with 12V and at least 3A.

UDOO X86 doesn't come with anything preinstalled.
    If you want Windows on board you have to fetch it yourself.

We will start shipping pre-orders in April
    Once we have shipped all pre-ordered items we will put the board on sale.
    To check if we ship somewhere, visit the shop - and beware to choose the right one, between "USA", "Europe" and "Other Destinations" - and try to purchase the board. Before paying the system will ask you where you want the board to get shipped. Just type your address and you'll discover if we ship there too and at which price.
    Anyway, I've done this for you: we also ship to Philippines, for $12.

I don't see anything keeping you from achieving this with UDOO X86 if you know what you're doing.

.[/QUOTE]

Jayce and Laura like this.