Node.js + UDOO

Discussion in 'General Programming Discussion' started by phuh, Nov 21, 2013.

1. phuh

phuh New Member

Hello UDOOers!

I started this open source Node.js library and command line tool project for UDOO (node-udoo). I also have just uploaded this short demo video on YouTube for those that are new to this project or Node.js to quickly grasp an idea about the library and its basic functionalities:

[​IMG]

So far, all shared GPIO pinouts described in the UDOO Pinout Diagram are fully mapped and supported by node-udoo. But I know there are other useful things that can be an addition to this library. (ex: software PWM, serial port, etc.) I really need help and guidance from the community on that, especially from those who have many years of experience in building awesome things with Arduino/RaspberryPi, hopefully w/ some Node.js experience on top of it. (I confess I am a H/W noob.)

Please provide feedback, comments, ideas, criticisms, or anything around Node.js+UDOO and node-udoo.

It's about time to stop hiding. Let's join forces! :cool:

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Thanks again Phuh - this will be very useful to the community.

3. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

That's really awesome phuh! Great work, thanks!

4. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Just watched the video now I'm home. You've done a really good one there: just the right length... decent but not distracting music... well subtitled... and of course the picture in picture demo illustrating the code. Top marks!

I guess several pages of documentation as a PDF would be a good thing once you've caught your breath and have some time.

Adding PWM & Serial are pretty important I'd say and that would probably be it for v1! :-D

5. phuh

phuh New Member

Really appreciate your feedback, Lifeboat_Jim! :oops:

I'm still trying to learn as much as possible about these different ports supported by UDOO board (UARTs, I2C, SPI, Can Bus, USB-OTG, DAC, JTAG, DMA, ...) but so far I only have a vague idea with full of questions: 1) whether a complete library is expected to support all of those ports, 2) how to prioritize them, and 3) how to actually implement them.

I'm a H/W noob so I don't actually know how real H/W hackers use PWM, Serial, etc. for their serious projects. Trusting your words and assuming you just answered my second question, I have a question for the community: Does anyone have a good idea on how to implement PWM and Serial support?

PWM
    Is it true that UDOO doesn't need S/W PWM because it supports real PWMs? If so, I am not sure how to generalize this into an API design when PWM as well as all the other non-GPIO functions must be enabled in board-mx6*_seco_UDOO.h file and kernel needs be recompiled. It sounds like the pin pads configuration will likely vary, board to board.

Serial Port
    There are some great serial-port Node.js packages out there so supporting it wouldn't be too hard. The problem for me was not knowing the device file path for serial ports.

6. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

One other quick thought. If you define *everything possible* and for anything you haven't done just have it return 'not support yet' (or equivalent) etc.

That would be quite a nice thing, user friendly and help those trying out your library from beating their heads against a wall unnecessarily.

7. phuh

phuh New Member

Thanks for the great suggestion. I added TODOs section to the project README page. I listed them in a random order except for PWM and SPI, and I don't know if I even listed them correctly. Please help with adding to, removing from, and prioritizing the todo list such that whoever could contribute to the project would find the TODOs useful.

8. g.cubed

g.cubed New Member

This is awesome. Thanks for doing this!

9. josolanes

josolanes New Member

This is really amazing, well done!

10. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

11. ajbodurka

ajbodurka New Member

any update on the serial???

12. AlbertoCasas

AlbertoCasas New Member

Hey, this is an amazing job, i have a question: how can i set listener to the inputs? is there a function to do that? thanks!