UCASE - UDOO Sheet metal case

Discussion in 'Cases' started by kindiss, Apr 1, 2014.

1. kindiss

kindiss Member

Hello all UDOO fans.

I am engineer at my work and i have permission to use all tools to manufacture case. I would like to introduce you with my sheet metal case for UDOO. Last few weeks i spent designing and manufacturing case. This is third revision. I don't know maybe i missed something, but i tried add all options and all access to all pin outs. What do you think, give me some feedback :)
    Features:
    • *Easy access to all pinouts;
      *40 mm fan;
      *HDD case 2.5";
      * Available three colors - matted black, glossy black, glossy white and mixed color :).
    Standard case
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ze6b4wg0uqnbyep/UDOO CASE.PDF
    Case with HDD
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmheqh0okga5v9e/UDOO CASE HDD.PDF
    And some photos
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xsp8cim2k8f83cy/qNE1zeTGeF

2. mkopack

mkopack Member

Re: UDOO - Sheet metal case

Looks pretty nice! I assume you'd have to use additional risers to be able to put an Arduino shield on top ?

Otherwise looks good!

You might also want to think about some sort of way of enclosing/mounting the camera board in some way...

3. kindiss

kindiss Member

Thank you, i think it is possible put Arduino shield when top cover is simply removed, but i will test it at the end of week when i get my Arduino motor shield. :roll: I will see what can i do. For camera mounting i need more info, how it should be placed? On top, inside or somehow raised. Should it be adjustable or fixed. Is it possible to get cameras 3D drawing like UDOO board?

Attached Files:

4. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

That's a very elegant solution. It covers the board so you can use it in all the projects that need to hide components and wires.

The space for the 2,5" HDD is mandatory and the fan is a great touch. The hole for the microSD leaves the card outside or disappear inside the box?

Maybe the lid should be more higher to allow the shields to fit in the case. I'd like to see holes for Camera and LVDS.

Love the black one :D

5. kindiss

kindiss Member

Neither, to remove top cover, first need remove microSD card, but to remove SD card is a little bit hard :) I am thinking to make forming for easy access to microSD card. I think if i will try fit shields inside i need to remove fan. It will be easier to tell something and make changes when i get arduino shield.

Attached Files:

6. mkopack

mkopack Member

Maybe rather than "holes" for LVDS + Camera - make them knock outs? That way for those who don't have/use those components don't break out the holes, those that do need them knock them out.

Otherwise, like it!

7. delba

The solution could be a larger "hole" for the microSD like this one:

+1 to the mkopack idea to have knock out "holes".

Attached Files:

8. kindiss

kindiss Member

For Arduino Shields it's looks like i found solution 2.54 Female Header DIP 10.5 mm, but a little problem it's hard to get and a little bit increase price up to ~9.5 EUR full kit without fan :) I don't want remove fan because when I play video, or UDOO get hard work :) without fan it become hot. Tomorrow i should get arduino motor shield, so i will see is it good solution.

Good idea mkopack. On next revision i will try make knock out for LVDS and Camera. And also will make easier access to microSD card.

Attached Files:

9. kindiss

kindiss Member

Hi all,

Today i got Arduino shield and i need your little help. When i plug shield on top with cover i need disconnect fan. If i remove top cover fan also become useless. So should i need redesign top cover for easier access to arduino pinouts and make it cheaper (without additional female header) or leave it like is now.

Attached Files:

10. schepers_cp

schepers_cp Member

if i may open up a suggestion, make the case a bit higher, and make a 40mm fan shield for the udoo with dual header so the headers come out higher than the fan and stick a little out of the case.

reference images (which i made myself in a few mins on an arduino proto shield) shown below:

edit: i used a 50mm case fan for this, which is a bit too large...

Attached Files:

11. mkopack

mkopack Member

Hmmm that's actually an interesting solution - pin header passthrough and fan in 1 (largely skeletal to allow airflow through it) "shield". Could even do it using the full length Mega length to extend all the pins up for access.

If you look around, you can find the headers for just a couple $ (Sparkfun, Adafruit and others all sell them, although you need additionals for the Mega/Due pinout...)

Just start with a proto shield designed for the Mega, cut big holes in the middle and mount the fan. :)

12. kindiss

kindiss Member

@ schepers_cp interesting idea in future is possible to make it as separate product. I calculated average price to manufacture "shield" it cost about 15 eur. At this moment it is too expensive. Because i want that case make cheaper as possible.

I think i will add all headers to extend all pin out including mega ( 5 - 1X8, 1 - 1x10, 1- 2X18). And will add 5V fan with connection compatible UDOO board. This way no need remove top cover and fan will work.

Happy birthday UDOO :!: :)

13. snickers2k

snickers2k New Member

awesome work.
    15€ is really good... why is this too expensive? to sell it for 30€ is 100% profit :) i would buy it for 30€^^
    any idea when you can manufacture this in series?

14. kindiss

kindiss Member

Hello all,

I updated Sheet Metal Case photo gallery

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xsp8cim2k8f83cy/qNE1zeTGeF

Now you can see how it looks in glossy black color. I made easier access to microSD card, now you can remove SD card without problem, also added knock out hole for LVDS + Camera + SATA connections.

@snickers2k because 15€ cost only "fan shield", i think is better leave options people decide is it needed or not. Now i missing some parts: plastic feet, female headers, 5V fan and fan connectors. I think it is possible to start manufacturing after few weeks when i get them.

Attached Files:

15. mkopack

mkopack Member

Nice!

16. kindiss

kindiss Member

Today I got some fan connectors.

LOL I had never met before such a small connectors :eek:

Finally I have working fan for UDOO Case.

Attached Files:

17. delba

I love it!!! I want one!!!! :D

18. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Here's a small, high quality, fan that could be mounted on the side of the case near the SATA connector, instead of the top:

Sunon 5-Volt 25mm x 10mm MagLev Mini Fan
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/390817386316
    SPECIFICATIONS
    Dimensions: 25 x 25 x 10mm
    Voltage" 5VDC
    Air Pressure: 0.18 in-H2O
    Current: 0.08A
    Bearing: VAPO Maglev
    Input Power: 0.4W
    Fan Speed: 10,000 rpm
    Air Flow: 3.0 CFM
    Noise Level 16 dBA
    Connector 2-Bare Leads; 5"
    Speed detection: NO

This little fan is very quiet, moves a lot of air for its size, and uses little power.

Please let me know how I might purchase one of your cases. I'm located in California, USA.

Thank you,
    Larry

19. Webdrifter

Webdrifter New Member

Thanks for your effort creating a nice Casing for the Udoo. We are in so much need for a nice casing that looks nice next to the Design Audio/Video-set in our livingrooms.

The idea of room for a HDD is great. Since that would offer the possibility to create a cheap Udoo based audioserver paired with 5TB of audiofiles
    (The only thing left we need now is a cheap high quality DAC! Maybe a nice idea for a new Kickstarter project?).

For flexibility purposes so to quickly be able the change the use of the Udoo for other appliances the possibility of hotswapping the HDD with a SSD might be a nice idea?

I see only one drawback in your design. Since it is open on top it becomes a bit of a dust collector. I would try to improve on that.

Please let us know if you start commercializing the case (I'm suppose Conrad would be willing to sell it through their website).

If you do not intent to commercialize it please upload you drawings so we can all benefit.
    However maybe that would need a redesign into a casing which is easy to make for people without access to special metalworks equipment.

20. Webdrifter

Webdrifter New Member

Would it not also be nice if there was a modular stackable casing available for the shields on top?