Udoo and OpenCV

Moderators: DracoLlasa, Lifeboat_Jim, mkopack, ektor5, ekirei, delba, andcmp

Udoo and OpenCV

Postby getinbalcony » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:51 pm

Hey

I'm planning to get the quad board for image recognition and processing for robotics applications. Has anyone tried OpenCV on udoo? What's the performance? How many fps could you get on usb camera?

I'm new to image recognition and this is like my first big project! Hope u can help me :roll:

Cheers
getinbalcony

Re: Udoo and OpenCV

Postby miousername » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Hi,
If I'm right openCV are openCL based!
This platform support openCL so you can compile openCV library to use them for face recognition.

I never did it but if you surf internet you can find some post abou it!
miousername

Postby lhl » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:44 am

@getinbalcony I plan on doing some image processing test and have some OpenCV scripts that I will be trying out, however a few caveats.

The current Ubuntu version provided is based on 11.10, which is... old (release date Oct 2011) and the OpenCV packaged with that is *ancient* - 2.1 from June 2010. Looks like the OpenCL module wasn't added to OpenCV until ... 2.3.1? You're going to need to either build OpenCV from source or see if we can get a better version of Ubuntu (raring or saucy would do the trick).

Another thing to note doing a quick search is that the Vivante GPU supports "OpenCL 1.1 Embedded Profile" From this thread:

EP does not include support for 3D images, 64b integers, and double precision floating point. Requirements on the samplers are reduced (in addition to the number reduced from 16 to 8) and the math precision is lowered below the IEEE 754 specification for some functions (e.g. atan). Lastly, the minimum image size is reduced to 2048 (from 8192) and the local memory is reduced to 1KB (from 16KB).

It's quite possible that the OpenCV OCL module may not work particularly well w/ the Vivante GPU's EP implementation.

Anyway, sounds like good fun. Report back on what you discover! ;)
lhl

Postby g.cubed » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:52 pm

Just wanted to chime in and say I got OpenCV running from source and was able to do a face detection test, but haven't been able to get TBB or sphinx-common installed.
g.cubed

Postby NeverCast » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:51 am

Did you build OpenCV on your PC or on the UDOO?
I'm currently attempting to do it on the device.
NeverCast

Postby getinbalcony » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:18 am

Hi folks, thanks for your answers! ;)

g.cubed wrote:Just wanted to chime in and say I got OpenCV running from source and was able to do a face detection test, but haven't been able to get TBB or sphinx-common installed.

@g.cubed Did you build OpenCV on your PC or on the UDOO? How about performance? Could you get the 4 cores working fine?

NeverCast wrote:Did you build OpenCV on your PC or on the UDOO?
I'm currently attempting to do it on the device.

@NeverCast could you do it on device? Post your progress please :D
getinbalcony

Postby g.cubed » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:13 am

Hey guys,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I haven't been around for a while...

I'm not sure how to quantify performance (if there is a utility you want run let me know), but the face detection was usable for my purposes. However, without TBB and sphinx-common I didn't proceed further. I built it on the UDOO itself btw (starting with the linaro image).

It's now two months later and I'll be starting from scratch as lately I've been working off another board.
g.cubed

Postby Flamenawer » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:59 am

I bougth Udoo for same propose. For the monent, no full support for openvc, and less yet,for ROS hydra.
I failed on install ROS Hydro on Ubuntu core armhf. I was not able o install gui for ubuntu or ROS.In ROS, no opencv support, no bullet, no openni, no pcl...
Now,for 2 days , I am trying install full version ROS on Debian Wheezy armhf. Ros core, bullet, opencv are installed, but collada and PCL dependences, error to compiled.Udoo kernel or gcc version, they have a mistake on endian selection. Same fail for pandaboard. I saw the solutiton with a script for correct endian detection, but I dont now that do, I dont know work with scroípts or macros.Also I read a bug on roscom archive for armhf processors, a guy found solution, but he no posted and he is dissapiered.

I will try compile opencv desktop today.
Waiting a few days for official ubuntu armhf img. Also I did a request for ROS and opencv dedicated img for robotics.
I think that we could make a work group for robotnics.

Excuse my bad English
Flamenawer

Postby g.cubed » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:09 am

Nice work Flamenawer, I think getting a working group together would be good, but I think at this point as long as we are reporting to each other in one place it's enough. I think these forums are good for that.

I'm giving it another go now as well. There is a Clonezilla ROS Hydro image available for both Dual and Quad. I haven't been able to test it as I haven't been able to transfer the Clonezilla image as I lack the adequate resources. I didn't have much hope for PCL or OpenNI compiling, I probably won't attempt it for a while.
g.cubed

Postby billy4184 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:57 am

Hi guys, for those of you having problems getting opencv up and running, following Ozbot's guide at:
http://www.ozbotz.org/opencv-installation/
worked for me. Feel free to ask me any questions on errors etc as I have spent much time on this problem and can probably point you in the right direction.

Cheers, Billy
billy4184

Next

Return to Application & Utilities