12.04 graphical issues

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by SoundChaos, Dec 11, 2013.

1. SoundChaos

SoundChaos New Member

I was hoping the new 12.04 would fix some of the graphical issues present in the 11.10 distro with UDOO Quad, but I still seem to have very slow performance overall.
    The Debian distro posted by another user on here is about twice as fast in every way as the ubuntu ones. I'm wondering if anyone has known fixes for these issues in ubuntu? Primarily:
    1: Pointer disappears - The mouse pointer will fade in and out during normal desktop use
    2: Window lag - Dragging windows around and scrolling through them is incredibly chunky
    3: Typing delay - when I'm typing in most GUI prompts, built in or online, the text has about a 10-50ms delay compared to my fingers, even typing in this field, I can watch the text type after my fingers are done moving.
    4: glxgears - i get about 25-27 fps in in, while the debian distro gets me about 48. It seems to me with a iMX vivante GC2000, it should be much higher than even 48.

Edit: I have set up the unity interface before trying all this, but all that did was make it so GPU tests would at least display moving images. Ubuntu still does not see any hardware graphics adapter in the system info window.

2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Hi SoundChaos,

In my Quad Ubuntu 12.04 is not so slow, my pointer doesn't fade, no typing delay and little bit of lag when i drag a window. But you're not the first user with this kind of issues. That's why we're working to release a HardFloat version of Ubuntu to improve the performance and solve the slowliness experienced so far.

3. jcacosta

jcacosta New Member

Mine boots really fast but everything else is quite slow. Can barely play an mp3, alsa doesn't work well, music starts jumping, only PulseAudio works but I can only hear the mp3, If i do something else, the music will start jump. Just by encreasing volume, the mp3 jumps.

I just ran glxgears and Im getting 27.5 fps on my quad

I have a class 4 microsd (starter kit) I think ill upgrade ASAP to a class10, however, test showed me that this card is a bit slow for writing, 4-5 Mb/s but reading goes to 15mb/s witch is not that bad for a class 4.

4. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

That is good for a Class 4, but I don't know what tests you ran so can't really comment. The usual difference between Class 4 and 10 is a doubling, but topping out at 7-8MB/s write and 20MB/s read (which is a limitation of the card reader/interface).

GLXgears is a demo and uses as much CPU as it can to artificially boost it's FPS score. It's no good as a benchmark or any real indication of graphical performance.

5. pizthewiz

pizthewiz New Member

Hoping this means we'll also see full hardware acceleration (enabled by default) in the armhf Ubuntu image!

6. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Exactly!