Android or Linux?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by weemo, Nov 22, 2013.

1. weemo

weemo Member

Hi there. I would like to discuss more these two in the general context and for Udoo dev purposes. For some reason, I have not caught up into the Android craze. I have been a Linux user since 1998. However, Android is everywhere so it can't be that bad, could it? What are you guys thoughts when it comes to Udoo and the perfect OS to work with Udoo, Arduino and such? Should i join the Android bandwagon? I like speed but ideally i would like interconectivity with other devices and this is where i see Android ahead of linux. Right or wrong?

Thanks!!

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

It's an individual choice, largely guided by personal experience and skill set & what you're trying to achieve.

Android, of course, is a fork of Linux. Remember it's geared for a certain Use Case which isn't well aligned with what many people have in mind for their UDOO's (but I have no idea what you have in mind).

For you, by the sound of it, stick with Linux. That doesn't mean you can't have a spare SD with an Android Image and have a play around of course... that's the beauty you can dabble with lots of different OS's.

3. weemo

weemo Member

Thanks! it makes sense to be individual choice and maybe those words that "is a fork of Linux" is probably whats keeping me away from even trying it.

4. weemo

weemo Member

didnt get too much feedback on this. Went ahead and tried it and I dont think Android is the answer for embedded systems. Just my 2 cents

5. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Agreed, sounds like you should try out a minimal debian.

6. jerrino77

jerrino77 UDOOer

I would like to join this post, just because i'm waiting for the courier deliver me my Udoo. Basically I would like to use UDOO like a home server, for movies, music and other applications ( for beginning at least). So i will surely try Debian ArmHF edition. But, which use for Android? I mean, obviously i cannot use it like a phone (or may I? hehehe), but, do you think I will reach the same goal with Android? Compiling, installing etc.. So, what use for it? Thanks

PS. i know, my english is very bad... Sorry

7. weemo

weemo Member

Your English is perfect. I wish I could apply some knowledge here but I am a zero to the left when it comes to Android. But, depending what you want, interface? or not, I think they are working on a XBMC version that could work for what you want. I am a ArchLinux fan and you can do what you are asking very easily on Arch and it is well documented.

8. jerrino77

jerrino77 UDOOer

hello weemo, thanks for your interest. well, i certainly don't want to use an interface, my needs are to have only a SSH access and an enviroinment that can make me compile something. I came from a Raspberry PI, but i have choose UDOO because of its SATA and Gigabit ethernet that (i hope) wil drastically boost up performances like home server. I have some movies stored on HDD that i will share on 'bout 3 TV, i would have to run a "streaming server" too. So my question was about the utility of Android on this board. Is it faster? Simplier? or what?