Android or linux?

Discussion in 'General Programming Discussion' started by Mozer, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Mozer

Mozer New Member

With the UDOO falling on my doorstep very soon (hopefully), I will have to decide or I should program my UDOO with either Android or linux.. what are you're thoughts about that? what is you're favorite OS that you will use?

Most importantly question for me: what are the advantages/ disadvantages for using Android or Linux?

I would guess the biggest difference is that Android pretty much only supports Java scripting, and Linux supports a whole variety of languages (including Java.) I would figure you also will have a performance difference between both?

What I want to know, which one will you use? And why?

At this moment, Android will probably be the choice for me, but that is only because I already have experience with ADK and even more with Java separately (just as a hobby though). The last time I worked with anything linux based was with the last release of Red hat about 10 years ago XD and at that time I wasn't even interested in coding :D

2. anlumo

anlumo UDOOer

I'm looking into Qt Quick right now. It allows you to write programs with a very efficient C++ backend and a simple frontend description language (called QML), designed for fullscreen apps just like on Android.

3. Mozer

Mozer New Member

Hmm Qt looks very intersting, didn't know that one yet! Good call, thanks! I will have to look into that once I got my UDOO :)

4. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

I'm going to try C# on Mono so the Linux root.

For GUI probably going GTK+ (well, the GTK# binding), but I know there is a QT binding too. I'll probably try both and see how I get on before committing a particular way.

I think Microsoft may be missing a trick. Windows CE and RT (both designed for embedded use, including ARM) just aren't available for licence purchase unless your an OEM etc. I wouldn't mind giving CE/RT a go, but not to say that I wouldn't stick with Mono on Linux though.

If the proof of concepts don't go well I'll rethink Mono and probably just do C++ on Linux with QT (like Anlumo says).

I'll be using the i.MX 6 side for a very heavy fullscreen GUI (on a large touchscreen, possibly dual screens or at least secondary/tertiary screens of a non touch nature) with many server tasks (DB, webserver, SSH, X etc) whilst the M3 does all the hardware handling (LOTS of sensors so it will be working hard too). A match made in heaven! (well, in theory... we'll find out in a few months time!).