Bolt PCI Device and Com Port 1 and 2

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Howard Williams, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Howard Williams

Howard Williams UDOOer

Have a new Bolt V8, Windows 10, which works great, and I'm down to the last 3 items in the device manager.

The PCI Device is not installed and I can't determine where to get the drivers for this device. Here's the code from the device manager - The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
    There are no compatible drivers for this device.
    To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

Second item is com port 1 and 2 are not starting, code 10 error. It's probably a I2C, GPIO, or SPI. I can't determine how to make these items start during boot or from Arduino.

I've attached the device manager image.

Any insights or help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

3. Howard Williams

Howard Williams UDOOer

Thanks for the reply. You reminded me of the remaining steps I needed to do to solve this problem. I've solved half of it, the PCI device was an incorrect Radeon driver that I had downloaded from AMD's website. New driver and half of the problems are solved.

My remaining problem is the com1 and com2. I get the code 10 error which means the device at com1 and com2 could not be started. My research indicates this too is a driver issue. Right now I can't seem to determine what driver is needed. I am thinking it is an Arduino driver issue, but the drivers provided by the Arduino software are not deemed acceptable by windows 10. For now I'm stumped on this one.

Thanks again for your help.

4. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

COM3 is USB-serial (emulated com port) which came from on board Arduino Leonardo.
    COM1 and COM2 came from Ryzen Embedded APU (the main CPU/System.)
    I checked my Win10 config and the driver is the standard Microsoft driver (latest thru Windows Update.)
    <-- mine W10 64bit shown as serenum.sys and serial.sys
    version 10.0.18362.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800)

5. PaulBolt0

PaulBolt0 UDOOer

Hey CSS & Howard,

Did you end up getting the UART port working in Windows? I've been trying various drivers and approaches but having no luck. Would be great to get any tips on it.

Cheers,
    Paul

6. Howard Williams

Howard Williams UDOOer

Hi Paul ... never got the Com1 and Com2 ports working. I believe there is a driver issue for their board or a hardware bug. Com3 works great as long as you install Arduino. From a practical perspective, we didn't pursue the Bolt for this project. Too many bugs. We did decide on the Lattepanda Alpha. While not as powerful from a processing standpoint, fewer bugs and a better price point. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

PaulBolt0 likes this.
  7. PaulBolt0

PaulBolt0 UDOOer

Thanks for the response Howard.
    I've fiddled around with it for far too long and didn't have any luck.
    Instead I bought a USB stick with UART out. I haven't set it up yet but should be a valid alternative.

8. Howard Williams

Howard Williams UDOOer

That's a great idea Paul - wish I had thought of it. I can still use your idea and make some use of the Bolt (rather than just a PC). My brain just didn't connect the dot at the time. Good luck and stay well.

PaulBolt0 likes this.
  9. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Here I am only discussing device driver issue, specific related to post #4
    Code 10 This device cannot start.

(You will see yellow exclamation mark on COM1 and COM2 ports in Device Manager, which means device driver is not successfully loaded.)

In YouTube, searching the keyword in my post line 2, you'll find many videos (most of them talking about keyboard and mouse though.)

But you can relate that to COM 1 and COM 2 ports. See the attached picture about the properly installed serial port in Windows Registry.
    Be careful, it is extremely dangerous with using regedit in admin privilege.
    (Note the picture is for COM 1, COM2 will be slightly different: instance is 002 instead of 001.)
    Basically, delete that UpperFilters key then reboot.

IMG_23283.jpg

10. Howard Williams

Howard Williams UDOOer

Thanks ccs_hello. I had not tried this approach yet. This morning I have made several attempts using the modification of ACPI, 1 and 2, registry hacks. It did not cause any issues with the Bolt, but unfortunately did not solve the problem. I am somewhat convinced (as in definite maybe) that there is a hardware issue that prevents either com1 or com2 from starting at boot. I have not tried Paul's UART out suggestion. Those items are inexpensive and I will order a device and give that solution a whirl.