bolt v8 with ubuntu won't boot

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Daniel Marshall, May 18, 2020.

1. Daniel Marshall

Daniel Marshall UDOOer

I've installed ubuntu several times, using different SSDs and install options. It will boot to the installer fine, I install fine, it reboots fine. But after a second reboot (or maybe three, don't recall exactly), when I reboot it goes to a generic udoo splash screen and hangs. In order to get it to boot again, I have to take it apart, plug in the install USB drive to boot it, then shut down and reinstall the SSDs. Then it will boot normally, but only once. If I shut down or reboot again, I have to restart this process.

I'm using ubuntu 18.04.4. I did install the 19 version you have posted, but that is out of support now and many of the tools I need won't install for some reason.

Is this a known issue and is there a fix coming? I've been dealing with this for a couple of months now, hoping a bios update would be forthcoming.

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

What Uefi/Bios version are you on? The latest one? It does not sound like a common problem.
    Are you using the build in eMMC? because that could give some issues.

Did the problem with reboot also occured in Ubuntu 19 or only in 18?

3. Daniel Marshall

Daniel Marshall UDOOer

I'm one bios version behind. I don't like updating the bios unless there's something there that I need and the notes on the most recent version only mentioned the fan, IIRC.

Right now I'm using EMMC for the EFI, but I've tried several configurations, including not using EMMC at all but nothing has changed. I can try it again, perhaps I made a mistake on that config.

I did not have an issue on 19 at all. Used it for a couple of weeks until I was working on something that wouldn't compile and tried to submit a bug report to the developer and he couldn't reproduce as that version of 19 wasn't supported or even available anymore, and more recent versions didn't have an issue.

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

5. Daniel Marshall

Daniel Marshall UDOOer

I had no idea it had been released already, thanks. I'll give it a shot.

6. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

For LTS vs latest/greatest on UDOO Bolt, the gaps are typically related to AMD support (SoC, GPU, etc.) and EMMC.
    One can always back-port the new code already working, but don't expect the pre-packaged LTS will have low lsync-up time.
    I.e., DIY helps.

7. Daniel Marshall

Daniel Marshall UDOOer

Unfortunately, upgrading didn't help. Still have the issue. While I was doing it anyway, I got rid of all partitions on the EMMC and am now only using the SSD.

8. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

9. Daniel Marshall

Daniel Marshall UDOOer

You are correct, sir. That's exactly my issue. Thanks for your help - I don't think I found it in search as I was assuming it was a bolt/ubuntu thing.

10. rdslw

rdslw UDOOer

Hi, as an original bug reporter I think from what you described that this is the same bug.
    Workarounds:
    a. bios reset
    b. removal of ALL drives (sata/m2.b/m2.nmve)

Unfortunately I didnt get any response from the support in March, but I reopened my ticket just now asking for advise.

Bios 1.07 still has this bug, as I'm currently using 1.07 and it happened twice on it.

1. I'm not sure about 1.08 -> you can test and report here?
    2. Just to be sure, confirm numbers you're seeing in bottom right corner on hang

11. rdslw

rdslw UDOOer

waltervl likes this.