Camera questions(Mipi,connector,compatible models)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Flamenawer, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

I search udoo capabilities for cameras management, but I see a small lack of information.
    -Conector type
    -Interface. Is Mipi, but serial or parallel. On I.MX6Q official specs is CPI and CSI-2, 4 lines for camera and is ready for 3D stereo, and support 4 cameras with 2 lines(theorical). Somebody can confirm this?
    -LVDS is include into DSI(D-PHY based),but DSI no is only for LCD, is ready for camera too, Can I use DSI port for add a camera more?
    - I can use only CMOS with flex(like mobile phone), or I need a camera with circuit(like RPi camera). I want use the HTC 3D camera remplacement or N3ds modules (dual camera) or similar. This is more small that two RPi cameras.

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Overall details are light on the Camera aspects so far.

Connector Type = CN11 ~ CAM ~ Hirose Electric-FH12 ~http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/FH12-16S-0.5SV(55

The CN11 connector looks to be exposing a two lane MIPI CSI.

UDOO are working on releasing an official camera module

I didn't follow your point about LVDS completely I'm afraid, Most serial communication methods use 'differential pair' signalling, such as LVDS, but it's never quite that straight forward. If you're asking if you can use the LVDS port to connect cameras to, I'd say not very easily at all.

3. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

I wonder if there is any chance at using a Raspberry Pi Camera module (which I already have) with an appropriate adapter? The CSI connector on the UDOO is a different pitch to that used on the Pi which is why at the very least some sort of adapter is required.

4. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

IIRC the Udoo team has said that the RPi camera won't work, but the one that Udoo is working on providing is a very similar model to the RPi one. Like in the same product family, just a different specific model.

6. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Yea im i was talking with Lifeboat_Jim and him, you and I are all under the same impression that UDOO is working on a camera module that is VERY similar. Its using almost the exact same parts with some some minor variations. I think its even the same type of 5mp sensor (different variation, same general part)

7. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

I found in the official forum of freescale , a post SabreSD your motherboard , which can effectively connect up to 3 cameras, 2 cameras in stereo , rear and front , all 3 of Omnivision , which are the ones I wanted , and they have a fabulous quality , and plate need not only is connected with a cable CMOS flex. There is even a patch for a little problem because the IRQ that conflicted .
    Unfortunately , I have not sufficient knowledge of interfaces , connectors , programming and linux, to understand everything that is said in the thread, and not know if what is said there can be applied to Udoo , since the connection of cameras to SabreSD is through , an expansion connector , which not know if it is equal or compatible via adapter connector Udoo camera .
    Please ask if someone co-sign the rotting stuff or not what is said there , and if not, if there is any possibility to connect two cameras in stereo , ISP , CSI , CPI , DPI ,i2C, MIPI or otherwise that USB is not . This is very important because the ability of 3D Steoroscopico is useful for robotics , scan to detect and 3D environments through OpenCV , scan 3D printer parts replacing triangulation mode , you can record in 3D with robot, UAV , videos domestic ...
    It is very important to know if there is support for this, and if possible and supported, providing the information and the tools to carry it out.

https://community.freescale.com/thread/313467

Sorry for my English

8. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Understood. I'll study that thread and see what we can come up with. May take a few days so bear with me :)

9. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

Thank you very much, I hope learn linux and will help in the future, but is very dificult forme now, I dont understand how to work linux, is other world. Only diferent linux versions,distributions,gnome,linaro,ubuntu, and console work, I miss LOL.

10. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Don't worry.

There will be UDOO users who just want to plug stuff in and for it to work, and others who are very good on sofware/Linux/Android and others who are good on hardware/tinkering etc.

11. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

Maybe this help, firs time i can see the MIPI interface with pinout explation. This cam have support for 3D Stereo (dual camera) with a extra module.

12. scott_fx

scott_fx New Member

how long of a cable run can you have with these camera? would it be possible to have the camera mounted ~10 ft from the board?

13. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

This camera uses flex, I do not think that can be more of a 20.30 cm, not only because of the voltage drop, not think it was easy to find the cable.

Now I realize, or did not put the link, or may have been deleted by interpreted as spam. I'm not very skilled in this in the forums

14. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Looks like MIPI have tested CSI-2 to 50CM cable lengths but the whole design is optimised for < 30CM flex cables in the main. Remember this is very low power usage >1Gb/s serial stuff.

There is mention of 1.2M distances using optical. There is also mention of MIPI Optical Media Converters (tiny IC's with a laser to Tx/Rx over optical) and 'increased distances' but no hard numbers.

10' might be pushing it, but in any case you would need the MIPI OMC's to do it. Not sure how cost effective that would be (compared to a HD IP Camera say).

15. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

Nothing new over this? (dual camera, mipi...)