Carmadillo MkII Improved Stream

Discussion in 'General Programming Discussion' started by SvartaHajen, Jan 15, 2015.

1. SvartaHajen

SvartaHajen New Member

Hi,

I am replicating the Carmadillo project and so far it is going pretty well! I have the stream working, although there is a lag of about 2 seconds.

I noticed that in Carmadillo MkII the stream has been improved, and I wondered if you can share how you did it.

Thanks in advance!
    Enric

2. ekirei

ekirei Administrator

Hi SvartaHajen,

i made the Carmadillo mk2 project, truly what i did was integrate the two joystick view in the Android vlc source (exactly in the player activity), so the stream was not really improved from mk1 project. The stream speed worked still like you start the stream from the vlc app.
    Unfortunately the source of the app that i made is gone missed with a broken virtual machine, so i can't share it.

A faster stream than the vlc app is very difficult to develop so i used their work to make the project.

3. SvartaHajen

SvartaHajen New Member

Hi ekirei,

First of all thanks for the quick answer!

I've rechecked again and I missunderstood the improved latency, which I suppose refers to how fast the rc car responds.

I would like to ask you how long the delay was in your stream, to see if something like the network is having an impact. I am using Udoobuntu with its graphical interface, maybe that has something to do.

Also, I have tried the new Udoobuntu v1.1, and for some reason the same program (rtsptest) freezes right after I have connected to it via android and vlc. That doesn't happen on my other sd card with Udoobuntu v1.0. Actually, not even the gstreamer commands in the udoo camera blog post work on Udoobuntu v1.1. Could you confirm that please?

Thanks alot,
    Enric

4. ekirei

ekirei Administrator

Hi Enric,

I managed to find the source of the vlc for android modified to integrate the two joystick views in the video player and the default option to connect the udoo device at start.
    You can find the source here:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!GIFQVITQ!-5lhjmsbMIRfs1pw9-rb_ViqpKuAa68Egx7eqii95Wk
    If chrome says this is a dangerous file you can ignore it and download anyway, there isn't nothing strange in it.
    Nothing on the vlc video stream code was changed so the delay is the same you'll have getting the stream from the default vlc app. I don't know if this can help you but it could be a good starting point.

Regarding the rtsp server side i suggest to check the options of the gstreamer components (mfw_v4lsrc, vpuenc) used in the rtsptest.c
    https://github.com/UDOOProjects/CarmadilloMk1/blob/master/Rtsp Server/rtsptest.c

with these commands you can see the values that options like capture-mode can have ecc. :
    Code:
    gst-inspect-0.10 mfw_v4lsrc
    gst-inspect-0.10 vpuenc