Communication between two boards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by csbrown, Mar 7, 2014.

1. csbrown

csbrown New Member

I am considering using two Udoo boards for a prototype that I am going to build. Both boards will be in the same enclosure. I need to make them communicate with each other. I am trying to determine the route that will require the least processing overhead (not necessarily the easiest).
    I can connect both with a cross-over cable. That would be the easiest way but I would appreciate suggestions for alternatives.

1. Serial? I assume there is some way to use serial but I really don’t want to write a driver.
    2. Shared storage. Is there a way to share storage?

Please help me “spit ball” this.

Thanks!

2. allwet

allwet New Member

I have a thought for you to consider. Assuming your two boards have a finite set of actions to perform, you might consider using the CAN BUS capabilities available on the UDOO. Actions can be communicated via predefined messages. I remember earlier discussions on this forum on the use of the CAN BUS possibly along with references for already written drivers. There were scematics for the interface as well. Hope this helps.

3. peter247

peter247 New Member

I think it all depends what you want to share ?
    If you for example want to share a array / file , use samba , map a directory on one ( share ) , and mount that directory on the other.
    The only problem how to stop both computer writing to the file and getting out of sync .

The best advantage of this is the udoo`s don`t have to be together , they can use wifi to link up.

4. andypugh

andypugh New Member

Are you communicating data or events? In the latter case you could consider linking IO pins together. There is very little overhead that way, but it doesn't scale well.

Ethernet ports and udp will work, and is easy to set up:
    http://www.moythreads.com/wordpress/201 ... mand-line/