Connect external arduino

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by janikel, Apr 3, 2014.

1. janikel

janikel New Member

Would it be possible to connect an external Arduino (the Mega2560 Rev3 in this case) to the UDOO? The 12.04 official image is the current OS on the UDOO.

I've followed this guide: http://playground.arduino.cc/Linux/All#.Uz0RM3WSzWR, being succesful in setting the usb device found with Bus 002 Device 003: ID 2341:0042, but the /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/legacy.conf does not exist, and I'm not sure the permissions have been set as they should.

The Mega can now be found on /dev/ttyUSB2, but it is not possible to communicate. This is what is received every time using this:
    ubuntu@udoo:~$ sudo cat /dev/ttyUSB2
    A#B� >�2 $$$�� 

The Arduino IDE on Linux does not recognize a port other than /dev/ttymxc3, and neither does the Arduino 1.0 IDE.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated :)

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

Until I get my Udoo back , I`m using a Udoo simulation which is a cublietruck connected to a Duemilanova. ( my USB port worked working )
    I can`t see why it doesn`t work if you have set up the same baud rate.

Are you getting a log entry saying you are on ttyUSB2 each time you connect your mega ? or guessing by looking in /dev.

3. janikel

janikel New Member

Hi Peter, I appreciate the response. When I disconnect the Mega, /dev/ttyUSB2 is no longer visible. I've tried 'stty -F /dev/ttyUSB2 cs8 9600', to which I get 'Operation not permitted'.

4. peter247

peter247 New Member

5. janikel

janikel New Member

Thank you for the response, unfortunately though this hasn't worked. I'm beginning to think the only way to set up a serial connection with an external arduino would be to change the kernel headers as proposed here: dev-ttymxc0-dev-ttymxc1-t1248.html

6. problemer

problemer New Member

i have the same problem.