"FEL (fedora electronics lab)"? on UDOO? with leads ?

Discussion in 'Application & Utilities' started by htsauce, Nov 30, 2013.

?

does any one think this is a good idea for electronics studens ? hobyist ? etc.....

1. good idea

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. no

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. wont work

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. htsauce

htsauce New Member

has any one here played with FEL fedora electronics lab , fedora spins?

im wondering if this could rin run on the udoo, with outputs for test leads,
    with functions as an oscilloscope, frequency generator, spectrum analyzer, ................... and so on? with a shield and display on the lvds, or equivalent?

roughly what tolerances would this be able to see?and out out, i know its 3.3v, , but with a shield could this be possible?

i have a few pieces of equipment and play with multisim, and fel, but most of it is old and bulky, functional and precise,
    but i would like something small portable , and convenient ,

im wondering if any one has tryed this with arduino due/ sheild , or to spark an interest in doing so,
    i will post what i come up with , but any advice would be appreciated,

im trying to talk my college to purchase these fore a multiple of classes and uses, and if it handled this with a shield mod, im sure they would be sold on the idea, and it would take off like a rocket,
    i already have 4 of the professors almost drooling , but if this can become a tool for out electronics lab , i know students would buy them as well,
    and im sure if it spreads at one ITT i dont know why it wouldn't at any other ITT in the united states, this would make student electronics equipment affordable for electronics and computer engineering teacher and student side,

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Good Idea - Won't Work.

Having said that... with some effort it could be made to work, I mean there is no ARM version available so you fall at the first hurdle.

Neither is there a Red Hat, Fedora or CentOS for ARM (you'll find mention of them being prepared but it's been in that state for eons apparently).

I did have a thought of doing a RHEL clone port to UDOO but I'm not sure I have the time. That may change next year but we'll have to see how things go.

3. htsauce

htsauce New Member

thank you for the information, im trying to see if some of the programs used in fel would have an ubuntu counterpart or version, if not the same, and just make an immage set up for that, i know there are some simulator programs on there, and to be able to actually tie in leads to the arduino side of it , would be awsome, would take some work, but sounds doable, if its on ubuntu 12.10, i would assume it would run on the udoo too, im not sure if the programs do that, but i might be able to find some hacks, or request a simmilar thing from the program creators ( love open source for this ),
    if it is like a circuit simulator, i dont see why i couldent hook up the leads to a proto board and use it that way , for input, like a logic analizer, and use it to read constants, maby variants, but im not expecting the detailed accuracy of like a techtronics o scope , but like a ballpark, for labs and home projects,

im wondering if and one could help with this, im an idea man with some exp, ans schooling, but not complete in these arieas

4. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Ubuntu on PC, Ubuntu on Linux 32, Ubuntu on Linux 64 bit, Ubuntu on ARM etc are all different, each compiled for different processors.

FEL is available as binaries (which is specific to a processor type) and if you look at FEL's site you'll see PC & Linux versions.

The alternative is source code. Now you (or someone) can this source code and compile, working through each and every issue that pops up (because they do), but that will take time and effort of course.

The problem is the people here with UDOO's have bought them to do their own projects and further their own interests, at least initially. What I'm saying is yes, someone may help you with this but it may not be quick, or it may never happen. Perhaps you ought to have a word with the teaching staff at your college, if they are excited about it as you think they ought to have the experience/knowledge to build FEL from source.

5. venkatbo

venkatbo Member

Cost may be an issue...
    . UDOO + shield may be ~$200.

Some low-cost options may be:
    . Student's laptop + due/shield,
    . Beaglebone black + "shield",
    . or similar combos

6. htsauce

htsauce New Member

true, but i already have one,

and if the school orders and provides udoo possibly, then the students would only need a shield + leads, they already provide a toolbox with all the parts to the labs, but they have a few plc and microprocessors course, and they want to do a android course and incorporate arduino controlled devices like course, but to use it with the electronics courses as well would be perfect,