HDMI resolution

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Luke Hoggett, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Luke Hoggett

Luke Hoggett New Member

Hi all,

I currently have my Neo outputting via HDMI, it is displaying at 1280x720. Is this the highest resolution supported?

The initial xrandr output looks like:
    Code:
    Screen 0: minimum 240 x 240, current 1280 x 720, maximum 8192 x 8192
    mxs-lcdif connected 1280x720+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
       U:1280x720p-60   60.0*

I have attempted to add new modes and enabled them though xrandr, but I only get a black screen.
    Code:
    $ gtf 1920 1080 60 -x
    $ xrandr --newmode "1920x1080" 172.80  1920 2040 2248 2576  1080 1081 1084 1118  -HSync +Vsync
    $ xrandr --addmode mxs-lcdif 1920x1080
    $ xrandr --output mxs-lcdif --mode 1920x1080

Any help appreciated.

2. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

The Vivante GC400 is a very low spec GPU intended for IOT and is rated for 720p@60 FPS. Therefore any resolution above this may reduce performance hence the default. If you plan you run a GUI under X11 then I suggest leaving this as the maximum. If you just want a console shell then you can bump up the resolution by altering the lcd values in the dts file.

3. his

his New Member

Sorry for off topic message, i didnt want to open new thread.
    Did anyone try this screen or 7'' alternative as hdmi display? Some hdmi screens works with udobuntu but not with android OS. I am confused. (I need Android working hdmi display 10.1 if you know some product)
    http://www.adafruit.com/product/1287
    Any help appreciated

4. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

The adafruit LCD doesn't support a valid HDMI resolution (1280x800) so it would only work with a DVI input source. It may be possible to make that LCD work with NEO (not UDOO) however the hdmi driver would need to be altered to output a DVI signal with timings for 1280x800.

5. Luke Hoggett

Luke Hoggett New Member

I suspected as much, just couldn't find much info about the GPU, where did you get the GPU type from?
    Cheers
    Luke

6. rafaelmenega

rafaelmenega New Member

7. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

imx6sx has a GC400T see here (under multimedia) and the Vivante spec . Bear in mind the harder you try to push the GPU there is the small chance the M4 is impacted because it also competes for the DDR bus when running code. Also note if your planning to use OpenVG on the imx6sx then parts of it are software emulated.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  8. his

his New Member

Thanks for reply Jas-mx
    I didnt understand you clearly, the link includes this board;
    [​IMG] http://www.adafruit.com/images/970x728/1287-01.jpg

I will only connect hdmi output of the udoo quad to hdmi input of this lcd driver board. As it shown above, there is a realtek 2662 chip and it accepts both vga and hdmi. I am confused about that the udoo screen wont work for the Android OS. The good thing of this board is, when you plug the analog camera, it automatically displays(switches screen to) the analog camera view.

I have a different lcd screen and its display when Android OS installed is here;
    [​IMG]
    As you can see the actual size is 800*480 and the display is showing about 600*480. I tried lots of hdmi setup strings in this link and none of them worked. Anyway, i am afraid that this new adafruit display may do the same cropped screen(such yellow rectangle) and my projects will be fail.
    I'm so sorry for my posts on your topic Luke Hoggert.
    Thanks

9. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

If your planning to get this or a similar display working on the udoo then will you need to look at making changes to the kernel to correctly support the video timing for that display over hdmi (and possibly make it as DVI output). Unless your familiar with making those type of changes it can be a steep learning curve.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  10. rafaelmenega

rafaelmenega New Member

From the Udoo Neo datasheet:
    "Vivante GC420 Integrated 2D/3D Graphics Accelerator"
    This is the official specification... Would expect 1080p support and hardware encode/decode for h.264...
    Are the specs wrong??? Did we buy a different product than advertised??
    http://www.udoo.org/download/files/datasheets/datasheet_udoo_neo.pdf
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

2 points to note, although I can't verify the Neo datasheet.

1. GC420 is a 2D core (not 3D), if you look at the Vivante description, therefore those figure if applicable, only apply the 2D API..
    2. GPU and VPU are 2 different capabilities. H264 requires a VPU core to support HW acceleration, the imx6sx doesn't have a VPU.

12. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

UDOO NEO is not designed for multimedia applications but for moving stuff - drones, rovers, robots, RC cars, autonomous vehicles and the likes.

13. Ingmar

Ingmar New Member

Not really true, Andrea.
    From your own manuals for the NEO, it specifically mentions "Use as a computer"

Manual.JPG

14. Andrea Rovai

Because you can actually use it as a computer. For example UDOO Quad has been used in the MANDEE Project for setting up a classroom with 20 UDOO PC working in a LTSP environment instead of 20 average PC, and that meant tons of money saved for the school, not just for buying the equipment but also in terms of energy saving.
    UDOO NEO is a computer meant for development, not for entertainment. For watching YouTube, NEO is definitely not the best computer :)

15. Ingmar

Ingmar New Member

True, definitely, but that was not the question. The question was to have higher resolutions. I too would like my 1920x1080 display to actually be able to show its native resolution.
    I agree that using graphics intensive apps (like youtube or playing a video) is not what Neo was conceived for.

16. Andrea Rovai

You can try to modify the device tree of HDMI. I think that the current resolution is a good compromise for the GPU capabilities of UDOO NEO. I know that it's not that good, but the problems raised by jas-mx are real. A higher resolution would probably not be worthy considering the NEO's GPU. What you think?

17. Ingmar

Ingmar New Member

You are currently speaking Chinese to me (I am a Linux (almost) NOOB). But I'm also a fast learner. Checking on what you said. I guess it means recompiling the kernel?

Actually, I was wondering: as the Neo is indeed not meant for graphical purposes, why not boot into a CLI? Instead of auto starting X. The user can then still decide to strat X.

18. Andrea Rovai

In fact we also provided a minimal edition of the previous betas, with no graphical interface, but there wasn't that much demand for it, so we stopped doing it.
    Anyway yes, modifying the device tree of HDMI means recompiling a part of the kernel.

19. Ingmar

Ingmar New Member

As it is normally not really an issue to compile a few distros, ranging from extremely basic, over basic, and then over X included, up to fully fledged, I believe it would be appreciated to again offer the different versions, even if only a few people download them. It's just running make a few times more. I saw your post reply about the armbian implementation (at http://www.armbian.com/udoo-neo/), but it's not mature enough.

For myself I wanted the higher resolution just to use the text editors while not getting sore eyes from believing the screen was maladjusted, ;-) . I really hate vi, vim, nano, or whatever.

My purpose for the thing is to run emonCMS or nimbits on it (I already did emoncms), and use it as a local IoT server, with some USB to SSD disk attached.