I love Udoo, but the competition...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by J.L, Nov 22, 2016.

1. J.L

J.L New Member

Just thought I'd mention Zotac has this wonderful competition to UDOO, even vs the best one and it seems to have a better value.

For under $200 CDN (about 150 USD) the pico PI331 has
    4GB RAM
    64GB eMMC
    an atom x5-Z8500 quad core cpu...

I'm just curious how UDOO will respond to this (and similar), since this is already shipping, and your high end UDOO x86 Ultra is not shipping yet

(The UDOO x86 Ultra is better, with 8GB ram, but only 32GB eMMC, pricing with a case comes to $266 USD )

the UDOO x86 Advanced+ is closer stat wise & price wise, but I think it's CPU (Celeron N3160) vs the x5-Z8500 might be less powerful all around

Keep up the good work, & I hope UDOO pricing can compete with this!
    Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

In my own opinion, I do not class the Zotac Pico PI331 as competition - They're aimed at different types of end users.
    The UDOO X86 has an embedded micro controller for low power applications that the Zotac cannot do. There are other differences too.

3. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

I've seriously thought about deleting this topic.
    The main reason is this one: this is your first post on the forum and it's an advertisement of another board? This reminds me of Latte Panda and LeMaker's posts to advertise their boards. So I thought, is this spam? The only reason I haven't deleted the post is that you don't share the link to that board. So I thought, maybe you're not a spammer.

4. J.L

J.L New Member

Not advertising, I have no relation to Zotac or any other competition.

Just asking about it, and I do plan on ordering the Ultra when it starts shipping, hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks? :) it does look to be a perfect PC replacement, but I wish the disk could be 64 or 128GB built in

Yes Laura, the Intel Quark SE is something I plan on using, it's really a great design for makers. My last project used the PI2, but it's not quite up to the task, realtime control & AI is difficult/processor intensive - the Pentium on the UDOO x86 Ultra should fly

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  5. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Also the Udoo x86 has an Arduino 101 build in, so is aimed for makers to control hardware devices.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  6. J.L

J.L New Member

Yes, Arduino 101 == Intel Quark SE (unless I'm mistaken) aka Currie

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  7. Laura

Laura UDOOer

If storage capacity is a determining factor in your decision, I would like to highlight that the UDOO X86 has an M.2 slot, for an SSD drive that measures 22 mm x 60 mm in size!

You're correct that the Intel Curie module contains their Quark SE system on a chip. The Curie module also contains BLE, Gyro, Accelerometer and other added features.

8. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

@J.L then I'm sorry I've been too quick to judge.

Anyway, I think the product you are talking about and UDOO X86 are really two different devices for two different targets.

Zotac device addresses consumers. You can get it from the fact that there's no photo of the board, the solution is presented with the case and with the case only. This makes clear that such a device is not meant for tinkering, robotics or rapid prototyping. Zotac device aims at being a computer. Also, Zotac comes with an OS, Windows, and Linux is not even supported - and the lack of Linux clears any doubt and definitely removes the device from the maker field.

UDOO X86 instead is for makers. Of course you can use it as a PC-replacement, or as a TV box, but the first target is makers. That's why an Arduino 101 is onboard. That's why pins are exposed. We want to empower creators, not consumers.

waltervl, Maurice and Laura like this.
  9. Laura

Laura UDOOer

@J.L Something I forgot to highlight, in response to you mentioning AI, is that the Quark SE processor has 128 arithmetic units that can power a pattern-matching recognition engine, which is useful for low powered AI use cases. It can be used to actively decide whether it is necessary to turn on the main PC to do more intensive processing.

Link to NeuroMem API (pdf file) - https://www.general-vision.com/documentation/TM_NeuroMem_API.pdf

10. J.L

J.L New Member

Yes, I like intel's docs on this https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/675624?language=de
    There are many great maker projects that use Currie/Arduino 101

I also agree that Zotac is a targeting a completely different market. If I took extra time to think, I wouldn't have started this thread, it was just one of those quick situations where a friend sent me the info and I was shocked at how low priced systems with a decent amount of RAM and eMMC could be

Andrea Rovai likes this.