i.MX6Q core speed 1.0 ghz vs 1.2 ghz

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DracoLlasa, Nov 12, 2013.

1. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

i can't recall seeing this topic so i wanted to start a thread to ask about it.
    From what i have read, the i.MX6Q chip is a 1.2 Ghz chip. The other embedded boards built by SECO have these shown at 1.2 Ghz

Why is the UDOO i.MX6Q board setup for 1Ghz (really 996 Mhz) and not for the 1.2 Ghz its rated at.

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

I know what you mean. However there are many implementations of i.MX6 clocked at 1GHz. Heat issues perhaps?

3. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

this was my thought as well

4. MakerKris

MakerKris New Member

So the real question here would be how do we go about changing this? Im more then sure I could sort out some cooling issues in exchange for the performance increase.....

5. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Well i have overclocking tests om my list of things to do but havent been able to do it right yet.. I have eveything i need to do all the thermal testing just havent dine it. I did just abiut comolete performance testing a bunch of uSD cards i hope to get those results posted.

When i get to increasing the clock speed we will see how it does at 1.2 amd beyond :-D

6. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Further info:

There are many i.MX6 models, split between: Industrial, Commercial & Automotive sectors. Very slight differences between them, the major one being clock speeds.

Ours, I believe, is Commercial and these are all 1GHz.

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

funny, when i was doing research on performance benchmarking i found the exact same thing, one model is a 1GHz, benchmarked at 996Mhz.. sounds familiar.. so yea i guess we are just working with the 1Ghz model