IDE for embedded Cortex M4 other than Arduino IDE

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by MateuszUrban, Oct 31, 2016.

1. MateuszUrban

MateuszUrban New Member

Hi,
    I'm a c# software developer who has recently falled in love with Arduino, and as this continued to grow I invested in UDOO Neo board. However, as I'm very used to tools like Visual Studio/Eclipse, I really miss many features in Arduino IDE (even as basic as viewing project directory structure, or autocompletion). Because I don't have much of experience in embedded programming, setting the low-level compiling toolchain is a hardcore task for me. I'm sure, I would go into the details some day, but at this point I'd be very glad to just have full-blown IDE for M4 embedded development which would help me very much with my projects. Now, there comes my question: has anyone set up development environment other than Arduino IDE and can share his experiences ? What IDEs are you guys using? Maybe you can share some configs with me and the community? I went through this forum, looking for tips, but they just do not create any bigger picture for me.

Thanks in advance,
    Newbie embedded developer :)

2. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

3. MateuszUrban

MateuszUrban New Member

Thanks @JackSilb !
    I was actually working with VisualMicro and it worked like a charm for normal Arduino boards. However, UDOO Neo seems to be a bit different, since I cannot upload UDOO sketches compiled with VisualMicro (they're either not working, or report some upload errors). I've went through the docs at http://www.udoo.org/docs-neo/Advanced_Topics/Recompile_MQX_Libraries.html and it seems for me, like these libraries need to be somehow included. Does anyone have an idea how to do this with VisualMicro ?

4. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

I see.
    I actually have not tested VisualMicro with the UDOO NEO.
    I was assuming it would work after you test NEO with the Arduino IDE since VisualMicro calls ArduinoIDE, no?. I don't think VisualMicro has the compiler on like a gcc version. It relies all on your Arduino IDE.

Let me see when I can manage time in the next days to give it a try.
    I am no an expert. In fact, every time I get the NEO to try to do something I find a limitation that makes me stop and go back to an Arduino board. Then I come back here few months later to see how it is going...

Thanks,
    -Jack

5. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Same here. It did not work for the Udoo NEO.
    For Arduino boards, I can compile the code.

upload_2016-11-1_12-47-55.png

Visual Micro free version. PLEASE HELP by posting on social media or purchasing http://www.visualmicro.com
    Compiling 'BlinkFast' for 'UDOO Neo (Cortex M4)'
    BlinkFast.ino: 1:22: fatal error: wprogram.h: No such file or directory
    #include "wprogram.h"
    compilation terminated​

6. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I have tested it too. You have to go to the Visual Micro developer for this. wprogram.h is an old type of file that from Arduino IDE 1.0 is no longer used and replaced by Arduino.h. So it should not be in the library. Visual Micro ads it somehow in the list. Arduino IDE does not add this to the list and compiles without errors.

If I make a copy of Arduino.h and name it wprogram.h I get a new error about isascii that comes from VM_DBG.cpp. This file is also from Visual Micro. In the support forum if VM there are more mentions of this error and VM fixes those.

8. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Thank you Waltervl..

MatheuszUrban, if you get a reply from Visual Micro, please let us know. It will be nice to have it working with the Neo.

Thanks,
    -Jack