Is it too late to ask for a new addition in x86 board line up :)

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by guido, Sep 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. guido

guido New Member

What I would really like to see beside all that is - x86 board with a processor Z3580 Atom.

With current processors line up there is no moving up to the Android 7.0 Nougat.

Is it plausible in near future or we are stuck with Android 6.0.1 on this platform ?

2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

That processor would require a different board layout, as its graphics output is MIPI-DSI, and not HDMI / DisplayPort.

The current three UDOO X86 models use processors that Intel released within the last year. The Z3580 processor you listed is from two years ago. Not sure why the newer processors would not work with Android 7.0 Nougat, as they all follow the X86-64 instruction set. Though I'm not knowledgeable with Android on maker devices, so there may be hurdles I'm not aware of.

Tibo likes this.
  3. guido

guido New Member

My projects require that the platform used must be compact and must be able to use as many new OSes possible. Atom processor that I mentioned fits the bill and is also the fastest (regarding the requirements of the new Android 7.0 Nougat - lots of processors officially not supported anymore). As far as I know no other processor line is as flexible as this one. Sure there are better and faster processor line ups but none are this much flexible and that is the purpose I need. If there are more beside this one please enlighten me.

4. Laura

Laura UDOOer

The UDOO X86 is a very capable board :) I cannot see any reason why you wouldn't be able to compile Android 7.0 for it.

Here's a comparison link for the processor you mentioned, shown against the three options for UDOO X86 - http://ark.intel.com/compare/81195,92124,91831,91830

[Edited to add the strike through on my incorrect comment, as Android 7.0, has not been ported to x86 architecture]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    FirstGenGeek likes this.
  5. guido

guido New Member

Can't wait to see those Nougat Android images on UDOO support when the X86 boards start shipping :-D fingers crossed

6. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there @guido,
    have you seen Android 7 running on an x86 device? Because if you have, please post a video or a link.
    The reason why you cannot is because there's no Android 7 on x86 devices yet.
    UDOO X86 isn't any different.
    And consider that the team behind Android-x86.org has not released a porting yet for Nougat.
    As soon as a porting of Android for x86 architecture is out there we'll start working on it. Before, it's impossible.

7. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Oops :oops: I can now see a big reason why it wouldn't compile, thanks to @Andrea Rovai highlighting the lack of a x86 port. So it would not even work on the Z3580 Atom mentioned as being compatible in the opening post (which initially led me to believe the other CPUs would be compatible, as they all follow the same x86 instruction set as the Z3580 Atom does).

Learning something new everyday :D

Andrea Rovai likes this.