Large Touchscreens

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rbottoms, Jun 7, 2014.

1. rbottoms

rbottoms New Member

I've only been able to find discussions about touchscreens that use a tablet size form factor.

I've ordered a Dell 23" screen for a project, could someone direct me to connection information when using a touch capable screen that uses the HDMI port?

Thanks.

2. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

well the monitor will have to pass the touch data over something else usually USB or something. I dont think it can all be sent only over the HDMI.
    If it can thats news to me, and i wouldn't know how to setup the UDOO for it

3. rbottoms

rbottoms New Member

Then how about telling how you would set it up please?

4. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

do you have another type of connection other than HDMI?

5. rbottoms

rbottoms New Member

Not to be snarky but it's your board, I'm asking you. I've plugged the USB output of a Dell 23" touchscreen into a BeableBone Black using the USB receptacle and it just works. Tell me what connector on your board I should use to do the same thing with Udoo.

6. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

to be clear, its not MY board, im just a user like you are, i dont work for UDOO/SECO, im just a forum moderator, part of a small group of end users that have tried to help the UDOO staff support the community (something we have been slacking on recently)..

So originally, I was asking what type of data connection the touch interface used, you never answered. Now that i know its USB then i would say yes, you should use the USB port.
    If it does not work, then im guessing there is a driver that is needed that is not present. what that is i dont know. The official UDOO touch screens which, do work with the base OS out of the box, so im guess the Dell screen needs another one. as i recall the 7" does LVDS and touch data all over hte LVDS connector, but the larger 15' uses a second USB connector

you might need to look at the Dell site to see what drivers are needed for Ubuntu Linux. Im sorry i dont know off the top of my head

7. rbottoms

rbottoms New Member

I appreciate the response.

To the folks who do make the board, I assume I can add the touchscreen driver to a custom build. Is there a tutorial on assembling a toolchain to tinker with the OS using OSX, PC, or another Linux box?

8. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

if you have the driver you would add it the way you would any linux box, there really isnt anything specially as long as its compiled for ARM already. There are many others that can advise on these details more than I, this is where things start to get a bit over my head, so i will leave it to the experts.