microSD hot plugable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by myamiphil, Nov 29, 2013.

1. myamiphil

myamiphil New Member

Now that there is a HD boot routine and can run Linux / Arduino from there can the microSD card be used for data collection? Is it hot swappable? Just got my UDOO quad this week. Still exploring and discovering.

2. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

If your just using the SD to boot, and you run off a SATA or USB after that then you could remove the SD if you wished.

However if you have a hard drive/ssd/usb attached why not write your collected data to those devices anyway?

3. myamiphil

myamiphil New Member

I was thinking if I developed a routine for collecting data of porting to an SD... Then later can use an arduino with an SD shield to collect data... I may not have to but its nice to know that the SD would be able to collect data and sneaker net over to something else. The UDOO may not necessarily be online a the time I want to remove data. I'm thinking of in the field data collection.

I'd prefer to have the HD boot and run my programs and use small memory to move data.

4. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Ok, makes a little more sense but the SD card (with boot image) would need to be in for each and every boot. Not sure you can rely on it being on for ever without a reset.

I assume WiFi, Ethernet or even a Serial connection between your devices is physically feasible?

I would suggest using USB stick rather than SD Card anyway, bit more robust to keep on taking in/out and switching between boards.

5. myamiphil

myamiphil New Member

USB stick would be better