missing ppp kernel module for 3g modems

Discussion in 'Kernels' started by ubernoob, Feb 7, 2016.

1. ubernoob

ubernoob New Member

Hi

I'm trying to get wvdial to work so I can use my 3G modem, but it seems like ppp kernel module is missing. Can you add that for the upcoming release? I'm sure there must be more people than me wanting that?
    $ uname -a
    Linux udoo 3.14.28-g560b321 #38 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 3 17:40:22 CEST 2015 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

3. ubernoob

ubernoob New Member

Thanks

That link says the kernel is for the neo. Should I use the same commands for the Quad?

Also, when you say we will, does that mean it will be included in the next realease candidate, or the next version (UdooUbuntu 3)?

4. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

5. ubernoob

ubernoob New Member

Thank you.
    I did an apt-get upgrade and it looks like i got part of it with the new kernel that was installed, but it looks like ppp_async is not installed:

Error: Couldn't set tty to PPP discipline: Invalid argument
    Symptom: the following messages appear before connection is established:

Serial connection established.
    Couldn't set tty to PPP discipline: Invalid argument
    Hangup (SIGHUP)

Diagnosis: pppd has failed to change the pty over to run it in PPP mode. This may be because you have no ppp_async module built for your kernel. Most kernels are built with this already, but if you have customised your kernel you may not have built it.

Solution: rebuild your kernel with CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC set. While you are at it, you should set CONFIG_PPP as well, and both should be set to "m" so that they are built as modules. We've found they don't work compiled statically.

Andrea Rovai likes this.