Motion sensors access and arduino side (drone project)

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Magni97, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Magni97

Magni97 UDOOer

Dear developers,
    I am now working with the new udoo neo to build a drone. In order to succeed I really need to know a couple of things :
    1. Can I run an arduino sketch separately from the Operative system ? If yes how ?
    (I will use the arduino side to control the flight control software)
    2. How are the motion sensors connected to the board ? Can I access them from an arduino sketch ? (if yes how?)
    3. How do the motion sensors work precisely ? How can I get the output signals before they arrive to the file presented in the tutorials ?Because I need to write a kind of program to complete and adapt the flight software (I have decided to use Multiwii as it seemed easier to modify)

Thanks for your help and continue developing yoir project it is amazing. If I succeed in my project I will share it. If you have further suggestions it would be great !

Magni97

2. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

You might want to read this thread which discusses some of the issues regarding the suitability of the NEO as the flight controller. You can pickup a CC3D fairly cheaply which may be a better introduction if your starting out.

3. Magni97

Magni97 UDOOer

Thanks for your reply, I will look somewhere else to find the best way to develop my project.
    However for my project it might have been better to use an Udoo as I also needed an onboard processor.

Magni97

4. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Dear Magni97,
    you may be interested in the work of Tim Michals on UDOO NEO as a flight controller.
    1) You can't run an Arduino sketch with the A9 turned off. The A9's uboot is necessary.
    2&3) You can't access motion sensors from Arduino for now. We're working on this feature.
    i2c4 must be disabled in the kernel (dts) to allow to M4 to use motion sensors.
    For what concerns your questions on motion sensors I invite you to take a look at the docs.
    Thanks for your good words about this project!

5. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Guys, we've added a section about how to control 9-axis motion sensors via M4 in the docs, have a look!

6. tcmichals

tcmichals Member

I'm trying to get the Neo in the air, but working on some framework tools first:
    1. Stable communication between the A9/M4 (using MQX and FreeRTOS)
    • Used to get flight configuration info and logging
      • New linux driver that supports tty, usr (clear), and Ethernet support using rpmsg
        • Current issues: tty is not stable, it is repeating packets
        • Have a basic Ethernet driver with rpmsg and Lwip on M4. Just need to test and publish
    2. PWM decoding for M4 (Just need to move the code) I'm not going to do PPM decoding. I have an old receiver that only support PWM
    3. I'm going to use baseflight ; I have it running on a Teensy 3.1 and it fly's well. At a later time port ArduCopter or TauLabs.
    4. Camera using NTSC I have a camera, but need to see how to run it etc. The goal is to use WiFi streaming with OSD (On screen Data) Need to see how to get a board updated with an external antenna. ;) My soldering skills are not the best ;)

Yes a lot to do...

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  7. Magni97

Magni97 UDOOer

Well as I couldn't get trough some difficult issues about making it fly I temporarly stopped and focused my attention on the processing side of my project. I am creating a sort of flying weather station that uses a series of sensors that will be displayed on my site with also the Images taken from the camera.
    P.S.
    If you need an help with your issues maybe I can be useful(If you want to share your thougths post your work on hackerist.io or write to me : stefano.magni@outlook.com)

P.P.S Developers now that I have been working on udoo for 3 months I can confirm that you worked and still working beautifully and I hope this community is going to grow.
    Best reguards

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  8. kpsbahn

kpsbahn New Member

I tried out the example code given in that link
    http://www.udoo.org/docs-neo/Arduin...e_9-axis_motion_sensors_from_the_M4_Core.html
    Code compiles and gets uploaded. But for some reason, there is no output in the Arduino serial monitor.
    I tried opening minicom -D /dev/ttyMCC also. Same situation.
    In the very same file, if I just remove all references to the sensors leaving just the serial.print string statements, I get the output in the serial monitor.
    Any suggestions ?