NAS - Open Media/Free NAS

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by TheZig, May 21, 2017.

1. TheZig

TheZig New Member

Hey everyone
    I finally received my Udoo x86 and was planning on setting up a NAS. I never imaged how long it would take to create a bootable USB stick from an ISO on a MAC. After multiple attempts it looks like I've done it using the Openmedia iso file.

Now that I've overcome that hurdle (5 hours later), When I power up my x86 with the USB plugged in, it boots into a text based window. Opening line is ''EFI Shell version 2.40'

Does anyone have any idea where I go from here? I've looked around all day for a basic tutorial but there seems to be nothing. It's driving me crazy.

Any help is really appreciated.
    Thanks

2. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

First, do you have another computer you can test your USB flash drive to make sure it is bootable? Next, when you boot the UDOO, press ESC until you get the menu, then select Boot Manager. From here you can select the flash drive to boot from.

3. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

Type exit in the prompt and booting will continue. Will happen only if you haven't installed your OS.

4. TheZig

TheZig New Member

Thanks for the tip on pressing ESC. Will test the USB after work. If I use Rufus on a PC to make the bootable USB, I have to choose a filesystem. Do I need to select a certain one?

Thanks again.

5. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

Your OpenMediaVault is a bootable ISO, isn't it? It should work out of the box. You can try booting from it with your computer that you used to create the ISO with. If it boots then it is ok.

http://www.openmediavault.org/?page_id=77
    By the way, in what way are you going to attach extra storage units?

6. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

A .iso image does not need a filesystem. It's basically a file that contains a filesystem and the files within it. When properly copied to a flash drive, it should be bootable. In fact, you'll lose any partitions on that flash drive.

7. bodgyuk

bodgyuk New Member

There are some utilities that for USB sticks that will run your ISO without having to wipe everything on your stick. RMPREPUSB for example. I use this as a portable multiple OS installer as well as having my disk recovery utilities on it

8. TheZig

TheZig New Member

Great tip, many thanks.